Chapter 6

Thankfully as we were in a cave we weren't awoken by the sunrise and woke at a more reasonable hour. Our bodies certainly appreciated this extra rest. Lucien stoked the fire to heat it up enough to heat up some oats for breakfast. He also gave a bag of oats to our horse, patting it gently on its neck and quietly mumbling to it. We took our time eating as we were planning to stop at a village today as we discussed last night. It was still early morning when we made a move. Lucien made sure my coat was secure around me before wrapping my scarf around my neck and pulling my hat on my head.

"You will need this today, love. It is cold out there." He steps back and looks me over, smiling to himself. "You look adorable."

I find myself blushing and look down. I still don't know how to handle compliments, especially his. They make me feel warm right down to my soul. They also still make me feel shy. Lucien tied the saddle bags back on our horse before helping me up onto the saddle and settling in behind me. he wrapped his arms around me and grabbed the reins, kicking the horse to a trot to get back to the road.

"Once we reach my manor, I might start lessons on horse riding so you can enjoy your own horse. I know it doesn't seem fun at the moment, being chased and always on the move, but there is no feeling as exhilarating as riding for fun."

"Oh, I'd like that. I have read many books that involved horse riding. I have always wanted to learn." I answer, smiling at the image in my head.

"Hear," Lucien grabs my hands as we reach the road. He guides them to the reins. "Take control for a while. You will see it is easy. Keep your back straight, heals down, and a firm grip on the reins. Not too tight, but tight enough to show the horse you have control."

I follow his instructions, a thrill going through me. he continues to whisper instructions in my ear as we ride. I controlled the horse until we stopped for a rest and some lunch. By this time, I had a big smile on my face. We are a small amount of dried meat. Lucien handed me an apple to give to the horse. I made sure to keep my hand flat as he instructed, giggling when the horse's lips tickled my palm. I turned to Lucien, the joy evident on my face, to find him watching me with a soft look on his face.

It was late afternoon when we reached the village. Lucien guided the horse to a tavern, booking us a room. We were still unsure if we would stay the night, but we would definitely use the facilities. We walked towards the main square looking for a store where we could buy some warmer blankets and extra clothes, mainly for me. lucien guided me to a supplies store.

"This place will have what we need. We might even find some extra things that will help in the coming day." He explained as we entered.

We browsed for a bit, quickly finding the blankets, before he guided me to some clothes. We picked up some woolen underclothes for me as well as a high collared jumper. Lucien grabbed himself some underclothes, although he said he may not need them. We paid and made our way back to the tavern. We enjoyed a warm meal and drink before retiring upstairs and both showering and taking a nap.

In the small hours before dawn Lucien woke me, explaining it would be better to leave before anyone wakes, this way we can stay ahead of the hunters. We dressed quietly. I made sure to put on the woolen underclothes before putting my travel clothes on. I also put on the jumper knowing it will be very cold outside. Lucien once again put on my scarf and hat, and we quietly snuck down to the stables. I was right, it was beyond cold. I was standing by watching Lucien get our horse ready rocking from foot to foot trying to keep warm. Lucien turned to me once everything was ready. One look at me and his eyebrows furrowed. He had tried to prepare me for the cold, but I had no idea how cold it could be. Without a word he got out one of the lighter blankets and wrapped it tightly around me before helping me on the horse. He jumped up behind me and rubbed his hands up and down my blanketed arms trying to rub in some heat. I snuggled back into his warmth as he grabbed the reins, and we made out way out of the village unseen.