Chapter 4

**Chapter 4: Fractured Bonds**

With each passing day, Kennedy's heart felt heavier, weighed down by the growing chasm between her and her friends. Despite her efforts to maintain a facade of happiness, the pain of their rejection gnawed at her from within.

As Kennedy navigated the hallways of her school, she couldn't help but notice the whispers and glances exchanged between her former friends. It seemed like they were always huddled together, sharing inside jokes and secrets to which Kennedy was no longer privy.

Desperate for answers, Kennedy mustered up the courage to confront her friends during lunch one day. With a forced smile masking her turmoil, she approached their table, her heart pounding with apprehension.

"Hey, guys," Kennedy greeted, trying to sound cheerful despite the knot in her stomach. "Mind if I join you?"

Her friends exchanged nervous glances before one of them, Lily, spoke up hesitantly. "Actually, Kennedy, we were just about to... um, go somewhere else. Sorry."

Kennedy's heart sank as she watched them hastily gather their belongings and scurry away, leaving her sitting alone at the deserted table. Tears pricked at the corners of her eyes, but she refused to let them fall. She wouldn't give her friends the satisfaction of seeing her cry.

As the days turned into weeks, Kennedy found herself retreating further into solitude, her once vibrant spirit dimming with each passing moment. She tried to make new friends, to fill the void left by her old ones, but nothing seemed to ease the ache in her heart.

With each rejection and each lonely lunch hour, Kennedy began to question her worth. Was she not funny enough? Not cool enough? Did her friends ever truly care about her, or was she just a disposable member of their group?

Despite the pain, Kennedy held onto a glimmer of hope that someday, somehow, things would get better. But as she watched her former friends grow closer to Sage, her heartache only deepened, leaving her feeling more alone than ever before.