Chapter 8

**Chapter 8: Tears at the Lunch Table**

The weight of sadness that had been building within me finally reached its breaking point, and at lunch, it all came crashing down. As I sat at the table, surrounded by the familiar faces of my newfound friends, the tears I had been holding back spilled over.

Unable to contain the torrent of emotions any longer, I buried my face in my arms, shoulders shaking with silent sobs. The once vibrant atmosphere of our lunch table transformed into a hushed sanctuary of empathy as my friends exchanged concerned glances.

Hayden Rip, always quick with a joke or a playful remark, was the first to sense the shift in the atmosphere. He reached out, placing a gentle hand on my shoulder. "Kennedy, what's wrong?" he asked, his voice filled with genuine concern.

I tried to speak, to put my overwhelming emotions into words, but the tears choked back any coherent response. Instead, I shook my head, signaling my inability to articulate the pain that had taken residence in my heart.

Hayden didn't press further, but his concern lingered in the air like a comforting embrace. Sensing my need for space, my friends allowed me the sanctuary to grieve, the murmur of their voices providing a backdrop to my silent tears.

As I wrestled with the storm of emotions within me, Hayden continued to sit beside me, a silent pillar of support. His attempts to make me speak were gentle yet persistent, like the ebb and flow of waves trying to coax secrets from the shore.