Part 12

Nathalie beamed at the older woman who had been more like a mother to her when she was a teenager than her own had ever tried.

"We only found out about two hours ago. So we don't have a picture already. But the situation was similar to the night after the dance, just this time we were aware of the possible consequences and are very  okay with the outcome."

"That's great, honey. What about this young couple? Where have you met? Is your girlfriend a model, too? I don't recognise your face, sweetheart, but you certainly are pretty enough."

Marinette blushed deeply and stammered a.

"Th-thank y-y-you!"

Adrien grinned when he saw that and explained.

"Marinette tends to be a little clumsy. But she's the sweetest and kindest and most caring person you have ever met. And she has even more talent for designing than my father, even if it took her some time until she believed in herself."

Gabriel cleared his throat.

"I have to admit that the girl really is talented, and after I eventually got to know her without being biased, I was very overwhelmed how much she is already capable of at her young age. In a few years, she will either be one of my fiercest rivals or, as I started to hope, my best employee." He told his mother enthusiastically.

Nathalie interjected.

"I have to disagree with you when it comes to that, Gabe. When I look at them and see how very in love they are, even if they still haven't kissed, I would prefer to speak of Marinette as your future daughter in law instead of your employee."

That made the poor girl blush even more, and she couldn't even meet anyone's gaze for a while. Adrien's face had a similar colour, but he looked directly at his mother with a beaming smile.

Aurelie laughed.

"Slow down a bit, Nath. How old are you two? Fourteen? Fifteen?"

"We're both almost fifteen!" Marinette replied shyly.

"I see. Take your time. Both of you. Don't let any adults make the decisions for you. Nathalie and Gabi know what I mean. Her parents were kinda cruel to her, the way they made her dress and locked her up most of the time. If we had at least known about the whole situation back then. You could have stayed with us, and the two of you certainly had never parted you ways. But maybe it was supposed to be that way after all. Because you now have this handsome young man who seems to be kind and sweet and caring. And I can see how very much you both love him. Did you like his mother?"

She looked at Nathalie, who nodded with tears brimming her eyes.

"Emilie and I were good friends. She asked me to be there for Adrien and love him like a mother. I would have done without her request, though. I've been taking care of him with Emilie and Gabriel since he was born. How could I not love him as if he was my son too?" She narrated sweetly.

Gabriel laid an arm around her shoulders and held her close to his chest to comfort her.

"I'm sorry, dear. I wasn't planning on making you cry. I know that you're especially emotional at the moment. Would you like some more tea? Yeah? Okay, here you are."

She filled the pregnant woman's cup with chamomile tea again, then brought more coffee for her and Gabriel and asked the teenagers if they wanted something else, as they were drinking warm cocoa.

They refused, then Adrien eventually wanted to know why his father changed his name from Grassette to Agreste.

"I mean, I know that mum came up with the name because you told me when you confessed your love for her, but why 'did' you really choose it for yourself and our family?"