Chapter 11.

Chapter 11. Kella

My fingers trailed the spines of the books, sitting dusty on the library shelves.  Some of the books' fresh floral smell indicated they were new. The majority, however, had an intoxicating dusty and sweet scent.  The ridges of the books pleasured my fingers much more than anything else I could have done.

  Although I was so many things and loved so many things, deep inside, my soul longed to sit down on a couch and read my heart away. Many things in our world happened all at once. Even not looking at the big picture. My life was crumbling. And I was one singular human being. Reading took that all away. It transported me to somewhere where nobody could disturb me.

I chose a dulled green cover. The front of it said, in cryptic cursive The Secrets Of Ocean Shores. Intrigued by the title and dainty handwriting, I picked it up from the shelf and tucked it under my arm. The aroma wafted through the air as I carried it back to my dorm room. 

Tucking my legs beneath me as I spread the crusty-edged book across my bed, I flipped eagerly to the first page. The font, as opposed to the over-the-top print on the front, was simple and yet very neat and pretty. It was in a diary format, as opposed to the novels that I usually read and so dearly loved.

To my dear diary,

For my seventeenth birthday, my father has gifted me with this diary. I would much rather of had some new tools or perhaps my very own pair of pants, but he insists that I must 'act like a lady' and instead got me this weathered diary. I'm not sure what I am going to do with it.

I suppose I may as well introduce myself. My name is Natasha Zlobinsky-Ravenwood. As you are probably aware of, I am seventeen years of age. I live in a small town that has not been officially named yet, but I quite like to call it 'Shore by the Ocean', because that is what it is. It's very small, not a large amount of living beings in the town my father and I inhabit.

I go to a private school that is called 'Highwater Preparatory Academy.' It is a school only for the rich, and my father sent me there to live and do my work. It is quite a fine place.

I may write in you later if I find things to write about. Goodbye, and I sent my best wishes.

~Natasha Naomi Zlobinsky-Ravenwood

                                                                           ..........

Natasha's POV

"Happy birthday, Nat." The tall man sitting gently next to me hands me a package wrapped poorly up. Although I come from a rich family, we do not waste money on silly ridicules such as wrapping paper. I tear through the plain paper and lift out a weathered green diary, soft leather smooth against my fingers.

The cover feels almost too soft to exist, the kind of expensive leather that can only be bought from the fanciest companies. Although we may not spend much money on our wrapping paper, we do make sure our gifts are the fanciest.

Although the cover is soft and the pages warm and the perfect color, I still am filled with a sense of disappointment. "Thank you so much, Father. This is a beautiful diary. But what about the pants you promised me?"

He shoves a hand through his hair. "Your mother and I discussed this. Natasha, it's best if you remain a proper lady and don't let anybody think otherwise."

Of course my father chose to follow the sexist pathways of the society instead of letting me create my own way. I grit my teeth into a smile. "That's fine, thank you."