Part 10: Sunless Sky

I know it's been a long time since I've worked on this but the reason was I was busy with my Genshin Impact FanFiction and couldn't find the time to do this and because of real life. But now I've felt like continuing this. But the writing style is different since I adapted into the other writing style. 

(The Roost)

Mei's point of view:

Raven was in front of me. She intended to kill Kiana. But I wasn't going to let her do that. And Patrick won't let her kill Kiana either. 

Raven: Because I came here to end her existence for good.

Mei: ...! What is the World Serpent planning this time?!

Raven: The Serpent has nothing to do with this. I've decided to act alone on this.

Mei: What do you mean?

Raven: I'll let you in on something new. Take it as a form of gratitude for helping the children. The World Serpent once captured the Herrschers at Arc City. A mad lady then experimented on them. Cruelly. But we later found out that they had faked all their painful cries. They never felt anything. The Herrscher Cores have infected her systems. She can no longer feel pain. The other one is different. His case is different. 

Mei: That's... impossible! I... I didn't know anything about this.

Raven: A single Core can wipe out a city. And this girl has 3. Infection is only inevitable. But the other one is an acceptation. His core can't wipe out a city. The girl and the boy used some kind of "cage" to contain the Herrscher and retain her persona, but it's useless against Honkai infection. That "cage" is probably long gone. Rising sea levels, the Honkai horde, and the arrival of a Judgment-class beast all point to one obvious fact.

Raven: She's losing control and the Herrscher is waking. She is the imminent flood about to burst the dam. Not even the boy can help her fix the dam. We intended to observe, but it's clear she's lost. Perhaps she knows since she chose to hide in this deserted place.

Raven: Thus, I must neutralise this threat before matters get worse.

Mei: Hold on! An Anti-Entropy fleet will arrive and take her to a safe place and keep the children from danger... And Patrick-kun can keep her under control!

Raven: And I don't think Anti-Entropy nor Patrick as the boy is called can save her at all. I still remember that disaster 4 months ago. The solution to this problem is obvious. We must sever it at the root.

Mei: Solution?! Sever?! You only want to kill her! And if you do! Patrick-kun will get really mad and kill you!

Raven: I'm grateful for what you did for the children, and you aren't my target. I do not wish to fight you. But keep getting in my way and I'll have no choice but to...

I swing my sword but Raven blocks and pushes me back then she shoots talons at me. I deflect them with my sword. I refused to let her kill Kiana. She tried to strike me so I dodged and triggered a time fracture evasion and slashed her several times. I activated my burst. Raven was strong but I was able to keep up with her. 

Clang... Clang...

Our weapons clashed. My sword against her claws. 

Raven: Good night, girl.

Mei: I... won't let you touch her!!!

Shadows flashed, turning into a dark mist that engulfed me and inflicted grievous wounds on me.

The mist dispersed but I stood my ground. Physical wounds could not stop someone hardened by my inner pain.

Raven: ...

Raven frowned. She withheld her attack and assessed her prey from an elevated vantage. Her eyes turned red. Her strange cape billowed and fluttered loudly in the air.

Sora: Stop...! STOP!

Raven: ...?

Her cape rested gently on her shoulders. Raven turned around and saw the child standing next to an open door. Sora saw our fight and made us stop. 

Raven: Sora, I told you to stay inside.

Sora: Sensei... why are you fighting Mei? Mei... she didn't hurt us. She's a nice lady who saved me... She's only here to look for her friends. You can help her do that, right?

Raven: I can't let her take her friends away.

Sora: Why?

Raven: Because one of her friends is dangerous. She may hurt you. She may hurt everyone.

Sora: ...? Then... will Mei be able to see her again?

Raven: ...

Sora: ...No? Never?

Raven: ...

Raven's silence proved more painful than any answer.

Sora: But that... Mei misses Kiana-san very much... she couldn't stop talking about her... Kiana-san saved Mei 3 years ago just like how you saved us. Mei treats Kiana-san just like how we treat you, Sensei... Please, Sensei... give Mei a chance...

Raven: ...

Sora: You're scaring me, Sensei... you're turning into a different person.

Tears flowed from her eyes. Sora buried her face in her arms and shook like a tiny, frightened creature.

Raven: ...!

Raven felt as though she had seen this before. Years ago, there was a girl who cried like this in a burning village.

Raven: ...There's no need to fear, child.

She landed lightly and gently wiped the tears from Sora's eyes.

Raven: I'll give her a chance. I'll promise you that.

Raven gently convinced Sora to head back to her home. She closed the door and turned around with a sigh.

Raven: ...Leave the children out of our fight. Follow me if you want to know where she is. I won't attack you, but don't you dare try to stop me. I still see her as a threat, but I guess you're welcome to feel otherwise.

So now Raven and I had a deal. She was now going to temporarily help me find Kiana and Patrick.