Chapter 11

I'm almost scared to look at the reaction to my home on James, Andrew, and Michael's faces as they survey the foyer, that leads into the living room to the right, and the dining room to the left. Everything is tidy, my heart is pounding so hard I fear they'll be able to hear it.

"Your home is lovely." Michael says smoothly, moving in to kiss me on the cheek. "Do we take our shoes off?"

"Yes, please." I grin, I set Charley down to go find the girls who disappeared into the living room. I can hear their quiet chatter over a Barbie movie I found in the back of the vhs cabinet. "I'll hang your coats."

Quickly I gather the coats and hang them on the coat rack which hardly gets used anymore as well with just the two of us.

"What can we help with?" Andrew says, heading to the sink in the kitchen to wash his hands.

"I was just setting the table, if you'd like to finish that I'd appreciate it." I pause, "James or Michael can you get the crock pot and set it in the center on the pad?"

"Sure." James says easily.

"Kids let's get our hands washed for dinner." I tell them, pausing the movie and turning off the tv. "We can use the sink upstairs to be out of the way."

Michael follows us up the stairs, "Which room is yours." He whispers in my ear as Charley shows the girls where his bathroom is. I point to the first door on the right. "And Charley's?"

"A few down on the left. All the rest are empty."

"You two live here alone in this big house?"

"It was the family property, it's a hundred years old and we're the third generation to live here." I say softly, "I just wish I could get it back to its old glory, or better."

He nods, "Restoring old buildings is some of the most satisfying work. Or remodeling with the old bones."

I nod smiling a little, "One day. I'm hoping to have enough to get a new roof this summer."

He nods, giving me a playful grin, "That's a good start."

Lexi is the first to run back down the stairs, giggling and being chased by Priscilla and Charley. I shake my head grinning, I open the door to my room. "We can use my sink. Charley's bathroom is tidy, I just prefer my hand soap."

Michael arches a brow, "Um, I guess I get that, Lexi uses Barbie Bubblegum."

I laugh, "Yeah, Charley likes the baby shark soap." I open the door to my bathroom. "I prefer the goat milk soap I make."

Michael picks up the bar, "This is really nice, why don't you sell them?"

I shrug, "I guess I didn't think about it. Plus, I would need fancy molds, packing, yada yada. It all costs money. Just making it for myself costs ten dollars a batch, since I go to a neighbor who has fresh goat milk."

We wash our hands together when I turn to dry them Michael wraps his arms around me, his body flush against mine. I can't help the little moan, and slightly moving my hips back against him.

The moment is over way too soon, "Mike, Char! Where'd you go?" James calls.

We both let out a frustrated sigh and a laugh, "I guess now isn't quite the time." I gently push him back taking us back down the stairs.

James' pulls out a chair for me next to Charley and himself. All the girls are seated eyeing the huge crockpot wearily. "Have you never eaten roast?" I ask teasingly.

Priscilla is the one to answer, "My nanny serves it on a plate, it's usually gross."

"Priscilla." James growls. "Manners."

I laugh, "Well, how about you try this one and rate it for me."

She looks at her dad who shrugs then back to me. "Bring it on then." She says seriously.

Andrew serves up the girls, us adults serve up ourselves, and of course I get Charley's ready for him, along with cutting everything up. I think the roast came out beautifully, I'll see soon what my little critic thinks.

The men all tell me it's amazing of course. Amelia says it's better than their chef's cooking. But it's Priscilla I'm waiting on, she eats everything slowly, taking her time to think. It's not until we've done the dishes and put up the leftovers that she asks to talk to me.

I get up from my spot on the couch, she has me sit down at the table with her.

"Okay," she says quietly. "I did enjoy the meal despite my hesitations." I nod and wait for her to continue. "I think you should use more cumin, and it was finished an hour before served. I give it an eight out of ten, with room for improvement."

I try not to laugh that this normally very quiet four-year-old has so much knowledge about cooking. "I will try more cumin next time. Thank you for your honesty." Once she's back in the living room, I can't help my laughter. "James how is her vocabulary so big!" I lean forward, "I'm stunned, she shouldn't know half of those words."

James sits next to me at the table, "She watches so many cooking shows I can't even keep up. She also criticizes her nanny as well, who doesn't take it very well."

"I think she has her future planned out."

"I would have to agree." He sighs, then perks up, "Mike got to see your room can I too?"

I roll my eyes, "Not today." When he goes to pout, I lean over and kiss him. At first, it's just a soft kiss, somehow moments later when Andrew walks in, I've ended up in James' lap in a very heavy make out petting session. I know my face is bright red. I back away from him, he has a big dumb smile on his face.

"Well, I was wondering what you were up too." He chuckles.

"I-I." I find myself unable to say anything, I've never been caught in this kind of position.

Andrew stalks over leaning down to kiss me as well. "I don't mind but the kids miss you." He helps me up and we go finish The Princess Bride all together.