The Sound of Rain

Euphoria was always searching for a place to call home.
But sometimes it isn't a house you look for or a place.
Sometimes it's just a man,
who has been in front of her this whole time.

Leal

——

"He doesn't need another blanket, Princess." Stone grumbled as he sat next to Drift watching me as I rearranged Drift's pillows and blankets, which I had put around him once he was cleared to come out of the bacta tank. "What if he is cold? I just want him to be comfortable."

Stone doesn't answer. He hadn't slept since we got back and it showed. He was even more short tempered and grumpy than usual. "You should take a nap." I mumbled, but earned just a tight lipped grunt. "I'll sleep, when I decide to sleep."

He bowed forward resting his elbows on his knees, watching Drift like a hawk. Even a change in his breathing made Stone tense. "You can lie down right next to him. If something changes, I can-"

"No!" Stone's voice was cool and icy. He never lashed out on me and this was new. I clamped my mouth shut and nodded. He sighed and brushed over his face. "I'm sorry."

I nod, but stay silent. "I just...can't...what if he doesn't make it?" His voice is so soft, so careful and I know, he is scared. And I am scared too. Drift should have woken up by now. He should open his eyes and give us one of his shy smiles, that always makes my heart warm up. "He's strong. He's a fighter like you."

Stone sighed. He looked so much older now. The worry was etched in his face and probably in mine too. "He's just a kid. I should have never agreed to train him."

I stayed silent. I would disagree. He probably was going to be never ready in Stone's eyes. But how I saw it, Drift was a great leader and an even greater brother to Stone. However I never wanted for him to fight. My baby should stay far away from it and I knew that thought was impossible. We had to accept, that he would find his way and Stone and I would watch him.

Hours passed by, when Drift finally moved. His fingers tightened around mine and he groaned as he slowly woke up. "Am I dead?" His voice was hoarse and gruff. But it all didn't matter as I felt tears pour out of my eyes. I kissed his hand and pressed it. "Oh, my poor baby. We were so worried." He grinned at me, this lazy shy grin, with a slight blush, that made me remember him as the little boy on Kamino, when we first met.

"I'm sorry, you had to worry." He apologized as I kissed him all over his face redness finally creeping back into his face. That it was out of embarrassment didn't matter. He was just too cute. Relief filled every last bit of my body as I tried to contain myself. "Don't do it again." Stone grumbled, but even he was a lot more relaxed.

"Were you worried?" Drift grinned cheekily and Stone scoffed. "Of you? Not even for a second! You're only a cadet. There are plenty more of you to train." I gasp and hit him on his shoulder. "Stone!" Drift's smile slightly dropped and didn't reach his eyes anymore.

"Tell him you were worried! We were worried, honey. This one threatened Alema and War for you. All the medics were scared." I reported and Drift's smile softened into disbelief.

"Really?" His surprise made my heart ache and I nudged Stone again. "Yeah, come to think of it. You are a very fast learner, would be a shame to not finish-" I hit him again.