Scent Of Summer

After a lifetime of loss, hate and disappointment, I chose him....I chose a better life.
For the both of us!

Euphoria

——

His mouth opened, but he did not speak. Instead he shook his head, as if he shushed his thoughts away. "So I take it your date did not go as planned." He said, his voice void of any emotion, any feeling at all beside of a slight hint of tiredness.

"No, it didn't." I agree and he nods brushing over his face and rubbing his eyes. He looked so old in that moment, so war-torn and tired, that my chest started to ache for him. "Euphoria, I'm so sorry about that." He sighed.

This man was remarkable. He could have said 'I told you so'. He could have made fun of me like so many others would have. And he normally would have, but I knew, that he saw that it was hurtful. To any other person, Stone would have reacted differently, but not to me. And now his feelings were painstakingly obvious.

"I'm not." I said and took a step forward needing to watch him even closer than before. Stone didn't seem to notice. Instead he brushed over his face and sighed again. "I'll talk to him. You should rest." He mumbled and grabbed his helmet ready to go out there and do whatever he wanted to do to Kane.

But before he could move past me, I laid a hand on his arm and stopped him. "Stay!" His eyes closed for a second and his shoulders slacked. It was silent as I searched for the right words only occasionally disrupted by the thunder outside. But Stone was the first to speak.

"I can't, Princess." I felt heavy as he sighed. His eyes found mine and there it was the truth I was so blind to. How blind indeed.

"You lied about your feelings for me." His eyes burned darker than ever as my voice traveled through the space between us in his shack. "I did." He agreed and I closed my eyes for a second as something in me broke. It felt like a part of me broke free by his words and another part finally let go of my surpressed feelings.

"Why would you do that?" Stone straightened his head held high he was so much taller than me and so much more imposing. "I was your commander and your friend. You needed that more than a few fleeting feelings."

"Are they fleeting or are you just saying that to protect me?" His gaze softened and he sighed. "Nothing about you is fleeting, Princess." My next words got stuck in my throat. "Don't look at me like that." He demanded his voice more like a growl. "Don't look at you like what?"

"Like you...just don't!" He caught himself saying something and I hated it. That man had more restraint, than a literal stone. "Like what?" I coaxed the answer out of him and I knew Stone too well. "Like you could possibly have feelings too."

I smiled and nodded. "I do have feelings for someone." Stone's gaze turned hard in seconds and he huffed. "That's a lucky guy." He says bitterly and again I nod, closing the space between us until I was standing right in front of him. "He's too dumb to know it though."

Realisation dawned on his face. Stone stared at me for a second dumbfounded before he shook his head. "I'm not what you want, Euphoria. I'm..I'm not good enough." I shake my head and take his hand in mine. Even now he radiates heat and my cold fingers gladly take the warmth he is giving me.

"You are the only man, who's ever going to be good enough for me." Again he shook his head the crease between his eyebrows deepening. "I'm set in my ways, stubborn and...I am not suitable for you."

"I don't care." Again he shook his head. "You should! I'm a killer, a murderer and mad man. You don't want me." I huffed and turned his face towards me, so that his focus was solely on me. "Do you want me?"