Alexandra - Saturday morning

Breakfast was a solemn affair in the Jenkins household that morning, despite Alexandra's mother's attempts to brighten up the room. The table had been laid with a new yellow tablecloth and the smell of toast was wafting around the house. Fresh flowers in a vase adorned the centre of the table and there were two glass jugs, one of orange juice next to a matching one of milk, together with a pot of tea. Guessing that her guest's tastes would be quintessentially English she had laid out a small bowl of marmalade, a butter dish and even some jam. Her mother was fussing around the dining room, making minor adjustments to a fork here, and a glass there. Cups and saucers had been laid for the grown-ups and less flouncy cups for the children. Helen was already up and anxiously waiting with her mother, dressed in a jumper and a pair of grey track-suit trousers, similar to what Alexandra would have worn on such a morning, were she not under the supervision of Miss Redwood, of course. When the guests (for that was what Alexandra effectively was) arrived, both Helen and her mother audibly gasped. Miss Redwood guided her ward into the room by the shoulders and brought her to a halt, just inside the door. Alexandra hesitated, looking down at the floor, her hands held in front of her nervously.

"Alexandra?" Miss Redwood intoned ominously.

Her ward's hands parted and reached down the short distance to grip the hem of her dress, just above her knees and held out by the petticoats she wore. She brought one foot behind the other and lowered her body into a formal curtsey as she had been trained over the last few months. Something crackled as she dipped, and Alexandra's cheeks flushed in response.

"Good morning, Mother. Good morning, Miss Helen."

Alexandra's hair had been expertly parted leaving a razor straight line exactly down the middle of her head and exposing the whiteness of her scalp. The hair had been drawn into French plaits which began at Alexandra's temples and extended symmetrically down her head, behind her ears, and continued back over her shoulders ending in delicate red bows. She had been dressed in a blue sailor dress with a wide white square collar which extended over her chest and down her back, providing a background to the red bows in her hair.

The cuffs of her long sleeves had been buttoned, and the pleated skirt flared over the petticoats, not helped by the nappy she had been pinned into moments before. Her knees stood out in stark contrast to the lily white knee socks, pulled taut and equal, with the vertical ribbing perfectly straight, running down to the black Mary Jane sandals she wore.

Her mother looked stunned for a moment before replying "Good morning, darling."

There was a log moment of silence before Mrs Jenkins continued with a contrived smile.

"Good morning, Miss Redwood. I hope you both slept well."

"Very well thank you, Mrs Jenkins. It is a very quiet house."

"May I offer you a cup of tea, Miss Redwood?"

"That would be lovely, but I always like to get my charges settled before looking after myself, Mrs Jenkins." The inference was clear.

"Of course, Miss Redwood. Shall I fetch the pinafore?"

"I think both girls might benefit, don't you, Mrs Jenkins?"

Helen shot her a pleading look from across the room, and her mother looked flustered.

"Oh, ummm, yes, of course Miss Redwood. I'm sure you know best. I'll just fetch them."

Miss Redwood held out one for Helen, and Mrs Jenkins looked after Alexandra. Soon they were both standing having the buttons fastened in the back and the sashes made into jaunty bows. Alexandra had a resigned expression on her face both girls, but Helen was scowling, out of Miss Redwood's view of course.