♛十♕

Author's Note: hey everyone so this is me trying to fight a slump in writing so if you notice how shïtty this chapter is, it's not you, it's me

Author's Note: hey everyone so this is me trying to fight a slump in writing so if you notice how shïtty this chapter is, it's not you, it's me. anw, enjoy this chapter and i hope y'all are doing good.

♛十

⊱ ──────ஓ๑🏀๑ஓ ────── ⊰

"NIJIMURA, SIT THIS one out. I want to see how the first-years work."

Nijimura, who was already in the middle of taking off his varsity jacket, paused when Sanata said that. To be honest, he wanted to feel offended that he wouldn't get to play this match, but he would be lying if he said that he wasn't curious if the first-years could function without him preventing them from killing each other.

Sure they were talented individually, but as a team, they sucked.

There were others, of course, that were able to set aside their differences to work well with the team, but the more "simple-minded" ones, (a.k.a Aomine, Murasakibara and Haizaki), let's just say they harbor a preference of going solo which often becomes a headache for Nijimura.

And while he loves being the glue that holds this bunch together, this could also be his chance to see if a certain someone can handle being a leader. He already has an inkling that this person can, but seeing him in action would definitely make Nijimura more confident in naming him the vice captain of the team — the one who's next-in-line to being captain after he graduates.

He has a successor now — should he tear up at the thought of passing the throne?

"Yes, coach."

With that, Shirogane and Sanata laid out the game plan to the five first-years who'll be playing for that day:

Akashi: he was listening attentively to the coaches, even providing his insight here and there. Yuuto thought it was impressive that Akashi was already helping with planning strategies even though he was only a first-year.

Aomine: he was too pumped up to pay attention to the coaches. Honestly, all he wanted to do was get on the court, and show Yuuto how good he was.

Midorima: he was also listening to the coaches, but he gets distracted sometimes with Aomine's fidgeting, ("Your fidgeting is annoying! Stop that!" he scolded the blue-haired boy), and with the sound of chips crunching that's coming from Murasakibara's side, ("Why are you eating right before a match?!").

Murasakibara: much to his displeasure, Nijimura forced him to stop eating his chips so he could focus on the coaches, but he only let it go when Yuuto promised him that he wouldn't let anyone even breathe near his chips.

Haizaki: he wasn't listening, so Nijimura punched his gut. ("Shuzo-chan, no more violence!" Yuuto karate chopped the captain's head).