Card on the table

Opening his eyes a light was seen, he cleared his eyes and realized he was somewhere where he didn't know where he was. He looked around the metallic room he was in. Pipes and other sorts of machinery were around. He sat up from the bed but sharp pain stopped him from standing up. With a loud hiss, he held his side as he looked at himself. He was partially undressed, his arms not covered. As he examined them he noticed fairly quickly, that instead of just his wrist turning black, it was both his arms. He was running out of time. Quicker than anticipated. Was this the punishment? He finally found a reason to live and the moment he does, it kicks in.

He looked heartbroken, what could he do now? He can't help much but he shall do best. His situation slowly crawled to realization, Clorinde. At this rate, he has like 3 months.

"Fuck!" he cursed to himself, who would blame him? He was dying.
"I would appreciate it if you didn't swear."
Capolaz looked at the sudden voice and noticed a child, it looked more like Melusine to his defense.
"I apologize."
"No worries, it's not that uncommon here but still not a fan of it."
Capolaz still tried to gain his bearings but was drawing blanks.
"I apologize, but who are you and where am I?"
Melusine looked at him and smiled.
"My name is Sigewinne, you are at Fortress of Meropide."

Sigewinne, the name sounded familiar the same as the place he was in. He thought for a second. Neuvillette.

"May I ask why am I here?" Capolaz asked.
"Clorinde brought you here, she was disturbed at the fact. Never leave your side, only on important business such as work or on request of Neuvillette and Miss Furina, not even on Duke's order to leave you."

Capolaz was touched by the words. She cared about him. But that wasn't important. Right now he is in a big predicament.
"How long was I out?"
"Three days, I nursed you back to health to my best capability, however, I can't do anything about the arms."

Capolaz looked at the hands again, the mere sight brought trouble to him.
Sigewinne quickly brought a drink to him.
"Here this should ease your mind and bring some energy to you."
Without a second thought, he grabbed the drink and drank it.
"Hmm, not as delicious as tea but still good, thank you."
Sigewinne looked happy that he drank it.

Capolaz stood up now without the pain, he was ready to walk out, grabbing his clothes that were next to him.
"You still have to stay for the final checkup and to answer some questions."
Capolaz looked at the kid.
"I rather not."
Sigewinne pulled out a small flintlock pistol.
"This wasn't a request."
Capolaz looked at the girl now startled.
"You made one of the friends of Duke sad that you at least owe them that."
"I agree but that's between her and me don't you think?"
Sigewinne looked at him and nodded.
"Maybe-"
"I think it's between him and me, Sigewinne, thank you."

Capolaz looked at the familiar voice, there she stood, in her uniform, her purple eyes looking at him, checking him out. She gracefully walked into the room, with a glance at Sigewinne who at the glance walked out of the room.
"So you're fine," Clorinde spoke to him, folding her arm.
"Looks like it."
"So wanna talk?"

Both now we're sitting on the bed he was previously resting on, both silent. He decided to break the silence.

"I am sorry."
"For what?" Clorinde asked, puzzled.
"For everything, I wasn't clear with you, about everything. About who I am. You deserved to know."
Clorinde looked at his still uncovered arms. The black skin spreaded.
"Well then, who are you truly"
"I never lied about my name but never shared much about who I am in fear."
"Fear in what?"
"Attachment. I was afraid. You see I am no more normal than you or any other human."
That got Clorinde interested.
"I am from a nation that got destroyed 500 years ago during a cataclysm, it was named-"
"Khaenri'ah."
Capolaz looked at her surprised.
"You know about it?"
"During my talk with Neuvillette, he was willing to share that information."
Capolaz cursed himself.
"So you know my story, then my curse as well."
Clorinde nodded.
"Then you know why I am afraid of attachment, especially to you."
Clorinde thinks for a second.
"I should be mad at you, you white lied to me, yet I cannot."
Capolaz looked at her, both facing each other.
"I took a liking to you, you didn't try anything with me like other males who tried to be with me, now I understand why."
She slowly closed the distance.
"Your situation is making it so, I should not do this yet I can't stop myself."

She was mere inches from him. He could feel her hot breath on his face, his want was telling him to give in, yet his need was telling him not to. He couldn't decide. He can't decide, he wants to indulge but his reasoning is telling him not to. He would hurt both of them in the end. If not her then himself. Yet his hesitation was sending a clear signal to Clorinde. He was still afraid. He knew he was dying, or rather turning. So he had to place all the cards on the table.

"Before we do this. I have to tell you the last thing."
"You dying?"
Capolaz only nodded.
Clorinde used her hand making him face her. Her eyes sent one message. At this time she didn't care.

She gave him a quick kiss on his lips. The feeling was like bliss for both of them. She slowly pushed him down; she sat on his lap, her legs on either side of his legs. After the prolonged kiss, the need for air for both made them depart their lips.

"Looks like I won this duel~."
"Don't know, the position is making I think that I am winning."
Both of them laughed at the deja vu. She got from top of him and dusted her dress.
"Get dressed, you have a trial in 40 minutes. I have to get you up to speed."

With that she walked from the room, her hips swaying from side to side, highlighting her figure which makes a nice show to look at, for him at least.

"Wait, trial?"

AN: First of, Happy Lantern Rite, second, completing the event gave me the motivation I lacked past weeks to update plus we got new insight into Clorinde's personality, little crumbs here and there but better than nothing, hope you people enjoy.