chapter 9

Noah had been at Ella's house for a while now, the two of them baking cookies, reading, and watching movies together. They were now sitting at Ella's desk in her room as they worked on painting their ornaments.

"I like how yours is turning out, Ella." Noah commented, looking over at the ornament that Ella was busy painting.

"Thanks. I thought it'd be really cute to use Christmas colors like red, green, and white. And I'm gonna put a little bit of glittery gold too, because I feel like that's kind of a christmasy color as well." she replied.

"I love how much you love Christmas." Noah fondly said.

"I'm glad you don't mind how much I love it. I know I'm probably a little obsessed...." Ella said, with a little chuckle. "But I'm like that about other holidays too. My other two favorites are Thanksgiving and Valentines day. I remember one time, a guy gave me a Valentine's day card that he made himself. It was last year actually, and the first time I ever got a handmade card. It the most special thing ever and it was adorable." she added, and she was about to continue talking, but Noah spoke first.

"Oh...." he trailed off, unable to hide his disappointment at how she mentioned a different guy, worried that she might be in a relationship. It wouldn't be that hard to believe with how beautiful and attractive she was. "So.... you really like this guy then?" he found himself asking her, his eyes just glued to the desk in front of him.

"I guess so. He's only 8 years old." Ella giggled. "His mom is friends with my mom, and he gave them both a card too. It was so sweet and cute." she clarified, Noah looking back up at her as he visibly relaxed.

"Oh," he chuckled, unsure what to say as he felt extremely relieved. "So, do you have a boyfriend?" he asked. He meant for the question to sound casual, since he figured it sort of related to the current topic, but it came out sounding a little more direct than he planned.

"No, I don't. I've actually never had a boyfriend, or been on a date or anything like that yet." Ella responded, her cheeks turning pink. "Do you.... have a girlfriend?" she hesitantly asked him, almost seeming nervous for his reply.

"No, I'm single. I actually haven't ever had a girlfriend either." he admitted, wondering why he even confessed that last part, blushing fiercely.

Ella's eyes widened in surprise as she smiled. "Really? I kinda thought you would've, since you're so...." she trailed off, mentally debating if she should finish her statement.

"I'm so what?" Noah questioned curiously.

"Well.... I was going to say since you're so, you know, attractive. Unless that's weird for me to say. It's just that, I figured that a bunch of girls would've tried dating you by now or something." Ella explained, letting out a quiet, nervous laugh, pushing a strand of hair behind her ear.

Noah's cheeks instantly turned crimson, his stomach going crazy with butterflies. "You think I'm attractive?" he asked her.

"It's kind of a scientific fact, Noah, I think anyone could see it. But it's nice that you're humble about it, I like that you're not a jerk because of it, like some other guys are." she told him, both of them blushing at this point.

"Thanks.... I think you're attractive too. Unless that's weird for me to say." Noah stated, purposely using her words, which caused her to smile.

"It's not weird. And thanks." she giggled, blushing deeper, as her beautiful smile widened and made Noah's heart race in the best way. The two of them then went back to painting, getting quiet as they tried concentrating.

"I think I need to use the bathroom...." Ella suddenly commented, giggling quietly.

"You can go use the bathroom." Noah replied with a bit of amusement in his voice, not sure what to even say to that.