chapter 4

Noah sighed quietly in relief once he was seated next to Ella in the backseat of David's car. Everything felt so new, yet also comfortable to him. The new car scent of the air fresheners shaped like little Christmas trees that were hanging from the mirror in front of the car, the way the heat was turned up just right, making the entire vehicle feel warm and cozy, and the way that even the seats felt clean and inviting.... it all just felt like home.

Once they arrived at their destination, Noah was expecting to see a fast food place, surprised when he saw that they were parked at a restaurant.

"Oh my gosh! I love this place so much. They have the best food." Ella beamed as she unbuckled her seatbelt. "Have you ever been here before, Noah?" she asked, turning her head to face him.

"No, I don't think I've ever been to any restaurant actually." he replied, not even sure why he was admitting all of that.

"Well, it's a good thing you came with us. This is an experience that everyone should have. Like, if you haven't been to this restaurant then literally what are you even doing?" Ella said, purposely being over dramatic as Noah chuckled quietly in response.

David then got out of the car and opened Lisa's door for her, Noah getting out of the car as well. Ella was about to do the same, but Noah had already beat her to it, swiftly coming over to her door and opening it for her, causing her to smile at him as she thanked him as well.

Soon, the four of them were entering the restaurant, Noah in awe of how nice it looked. It wasn't even anything too fancy, but he liked how it felt cozy and relaxed. It wasn't anything like the cheap, fast food places that he was used to.

"Wow...." he couldn't help but say out loud, still taking in the scenery when they were all seated at their table.

"It's amazing, isn't it? Wait till you try the food." Ella playfully responded, already picking up a menu.

David, Lisa, and Ella began discussing what they wanted to order, while Noah was just looking at his menu as he tried to decide on something. He honestly felt a little overwhelmed trying to choose between all of the options. Half of him wanted to just order everything, since he was so hungry, but another part of him felt guilty ordering anything that was even remotely expensive, considering that it was David's money being spent.

"See anything you want to order, Noah?" David asked him, pulling him from his thoughts.

"Oh, um, I'll just get whatever's the least expensive. I'll be happy with anything." he shrugged but David shook his head.

"Don't worry about the prices. You can order whatever you want, Noah." David considerately told him.

"But, I don't wanna make you spend a lot of-" before Noah could even finish his statement, David spoke again.

"It's not a problem at all. Just pick something that you think looks good and I'll pay for it, ok? How about the veggie burger with metataranian mixed vegetables on the side? That's what Lisa's getting. Ooh, or the mashed potatoes with seasoned green beans? And they also have side salads." he suggested multiple options, looking over at the menu in Noah's hands to read off the different foods.

"That all sounds really good actually...." Noah hesitantly admitted, getting hungrier just from hearing those choices. "Is it ok if I get all of that? And maybe a lemonade too?" he reluctantly asked.

"Of course it's ok." David smiled.

Eventually, all of the food had arrived and everyone was enjoying their meals. David and Lisa had started talking with each other about random things, Ella occasionally chiming in. But Noah wasn't really engaging much, completely focused on his food. He had ended up ordering a little bit of everything that David had mentioned. He felt like he could cry in happiness as he tasted the high quality dishes, and he couldn't remember the last time he had eaten something this good.