Chapter 3 - Nothing but a Boy-Band Dropout

Harry Styles
Tuesday, October 15, 2024

It's been about five minutes since I've tuned my solicitor out, paying more attention to the doodles I've drawn around some potential lyrics sitting on the conference table in front of me

It's been about five minutes since I've tuned my solicitor out, paying more attention to the doodles I've drawn around some potential lyrics sitting on the conference table in front of me. He called the meeting to discuss the growing investigation into Ethan James' death... as if I even have a hand in any of my business dealings. I only really knew Ethan through the polite conversation we exchanged at big meetings and through emails. 

I know about his girlfriend here, and his family back in the States. I know he wasn't a One Direction fan, no offense taken, and he played rugby in his spare time with some of the other guys who train with me, but he never joined me and the guys for any of our formal training sessions. I didn't really know the man. 

No one seems to consider any of this, though, while they expect me to be able to relay his life's story in hopes we can get closer to what happened. I don't see why there's any more investigating to be done. They ruled it a suicide months ago; and I worked hard, very hard, with my therapist to navigate the odd guilt I felt over it. The fact is, that I didn't know him and while that should be a great defense now, it doesn't make me feel like a great boss. 

"Mr. Styles?" I finally feel the scolding looks coming from my team, revealing that it's become apparent I wasn't listening.

"Yes, sorry. Busy time for me currently." I put down my pen and pad of paper revealing the silly doodles of sunrises around my chicken scratched words.

"That's alright," Mr. Jeffries says in a tone that communicates that it's not actually alright before clearing his throat and continuing. "I have been in touch with the team working on his case from the states, the ones hired by the family. Do we know the whereabouts of Mr. James' belongings from the office?"

"I wouldn't-"

"Yes." Jeff, my manager, chimes in, thankfully. "Harry of course doesn't personally, but we have employees at HSHQ who deal with these sorts of things."

"Lovely. I'll need to meet with them to collect the items for delivery. I believe my appointment is set for..." Mr. Jeffries checks his outdated looking datebook, "three days from now with a Ms. James. His sister I believe?"

"I'm sorry?" Jeff scolds. "I was under the impression his affects were to be shipped to the states." 

"Plans changed, I was contacted by the reps in New York, Ms. James is on a trip to the UK and agreed to meet with me in person." He says matter of factly, while closing his file folders and stacking them to put inside his briefcase. 

This changes things. Now there's no way to distance myself from this. I was hoping, the entire team was hoping, to keep me as far from it as possible. The tabloids have made a fortune turning this into something it's absolutely not. 

"She's here?" I ask, already contemplating if I need to make an appearance of good will. 

"Yes, I believe her flight landed yesterday."