Chapter 5 pt. 1 - New Identities

Fallon James
Friday, October 18, 2024
Later that night...

"Fallon, babe, don't you think this might be a bit dangerous?" Harlow asks me, opening her work laptop on her lap before throwing back the rest of her drink.

"You have your vices, I have mine." I retort, fixing the crooked hemline of my black dress. Staring at myself in the mirror, I'm impressed that I've managed to put myself not only together, but completely transformed myself into someone... else. I mean, it's nothing like what prosthetics would do; but the right changes to my makeup, and the red wig we found in town this afternoon have made even me need to do a double take. I'm easily more so my twin, not myself.

And that's exactly what I need, who I need to be, for tonight. I look at Harlow in the reflection of the full length mirror as she protests.

"Yes, but my vices include a proclivity for expensive handbags and too many chocolates... ok and men, according to my doctor... yours are..."

"Different?"

"That's putting it mildly." She scoffs, popping another Cadbury chocolate into her mouth. "I'm just worried about you is all, I mean, what makes you think he won't recognize you, you met him just this morning! The man is literally the most popular musician on the planet, you can't just walk right on up to him at his own party... I mean, do you even have a plan?"

I smile at her ability to underestimate me, my delusion. "Of course I do." I tell her, leaning back into my seat and finishing the straps to my heels. "I'm a writer, I'm well-versed in how to craft a meet-cute... or in this case, just a 'meet'."

"Oh don't tell me you are going to like, fanfiction the guy?"

I regret now admitting to her all those years ago, that while I was studying the classics, I was secretly writing trashy fanfiction in my dorm chugging diet Dr. Peppers to occupy myself while others were out partying.

"For your information, that's exactly what I am going to do. I'll fanfiction this guy, only this won't end up in his favor. If I can just keep my mask on long enough, and as long as they don't confiscate our phones...

"What are you actually planning to do to him?" But she thinks twice... "On second thought..." Harlow considers, I can see her concern for my sanity in her eyes before it disappears as she pours more champagne; she tosses her glass into the air and kicks her free leg into the air.

"Who am I to doubt my fellow woman, 'on sister suffragette, take down the white men and their shady systems, leave no prisoners'... but please get back here in time for our morning massages, they were fucking expensive and I need to write finish the part about the amenities by this weekend!" She cheers, spilling some champagne on the velvet chaise.

I smile and agree, she's not wrong.

"I mean it Fallon," she says more serious now, "we cannot lose you too." The levity in her voice is completely gone, and it only reminds me of why I'm here. I don't care what the police say, someone killed my brother and I will not leave this country until I find out who, and make them pay.

So, Harry Styles, here I come.

I adjust the wig on my head, the curls looking natural since Harlow spared no expense. It's almost frightening how good she is at all this. Of course I never managed to score a ticket to tonight's party, but Harlow did. Harlow managed to score three tickets from a woman she interviewed for her piece at work.

She doesn't even actually like women, and yet she can charm the pants off them if she wants to.

"So here are your things-" she hands me over a sparkling silver clutch, packed with everything I may need for tonight. My phone, a lipstick, my ticket into the masquerade, and a voice recorder in case I can't catch video of him.