Chapter 7 - loml

Reis Graines
Tuesday, October 21, 2024

I move the ring between my fingers in one hand, reading over the letter from his sister in my other. It's been the longest two months without Ethan, and then out of nowhere, his sister reaches out and now it feels like a speeding train towards something I'm not sure I want. They didn't even know I existed, that we were engaged.

He didn't even get to know about the baby. His death will be the loss of both our lives...

I rub my hand along the small bump starting to form, it's been nearly four months of no appetite regardless of first trimester symptoms so I'm running a bit small overall. My doctor finally kicked me in the butt and told me to start thinking of the baby rather than myself, so I'm sitting here with my dinner half eaten instead of untouched as it has been these last few weeks. At least I can stomach the smell of the alfredo sauce long enough to cook it for myself each night. 

Ethan's favorite. 

I put my ring down next to my glass of water, and spear another fork of pasta into my mouth. Every bite is a conscious effort, my lack of hunger making me almost sick by eating. 

It all feels too, convenient. Fallon finally decides to act like a sister just as she's in England and there's an attack on the Harry Styles party in London? Now, all of a sudden she wants to meet me? To get to know me, but according to her, Ethan never even mentioned me. I mean, they weren't close, from the way he made it seem...

She and Ethan barely spoke these last few years since he moved to the UK. 

I read over her letter once again and question if my anger is misdirected. 

She had so much more time with him.

"I'd love to get to know the woman my brother loved. I would love to know you, in hopes that we could potentially fill in blanks for one another."

There are no blanks. I know Ethan had nothing to do with his death, we were set to be married early next year. We were happy. This girl just wants me to explain why her brother was "sad." She's probably battling her own guilt that she barely called him these last few years here. 

She never called, at least he never took her call when I was around. She never called; not when he got the promotion. Not when we moved in together. Not when we got engaged. 

Sorry Fallon James. If we didn't need to know one another then, we don't need to now.

Your brother's baby has all he needs with me, and my family. 

If I'll ever be happy without Ethan... ever be happy again I am sure that we'll be happy, without you. 

Fallon James
Tuesday, October 21, 2024
2:03 pm

"I'm going fucking stir crazy." Harlow admits, throwing herself down on my bed. "I mean, it's a fucking luxury hotel, and just the fact that I know I can't leave... it's too small. I'm being drowned." 

"I'm sorry Harley." I whisper underneath my second face mask of the day. With our recent house arrest we've grown suddenly uninspired by any of the amenities the hotel has to offer. 

"Can't you just, call Harry up? Ask him to let the fuck up and let us out of here?" She asks, leaning up on her elbows to look at me reclining onto my pillows. 

"Sure. You try again, see if he's more reasonable." She answers by throwing herself back down on the bed, sighing at our champagne problems. I mean, we are "stuck" inside a 5-star luxury Spa and hotel on one of the richest men in the country's tab...