12

Monday crept up on her too fast. She wished she could stay in bed all day. The back pain was excruciating. For the first time, Lois Lane wanted to use her sick days. And she would have if somebody wasn't so stubborn!

Clark was determined to learn who was attacking the Justice League. He spent the morning zipping around the city, interviewing witnesses and searching for missing League members. He visited Diana at the D.O.D. who was still comatose. Aquaman had also fallen into a coma.

In between stops, Clark dropped by the Daily Planet to check on her. At least he hadn't forgotten his pregnant wife in this mad hunt. Her water bottle was never empty; the desk was cluttered with enough snacks to satisfy her cravings.

She was an emotional wreck when Clark was gone, fearing each moment he left would be the last time she saw him. Clark was being irresponsible and selfish!

Superwoman needed him more than the Justice League! She tried chasing him at first like she once did in the early days, but that led to cramping and a dire need to take a nap.

It hurt to walk and she constantly had to pee. The only clothes she fit in belonged to the hubby, and even they were a bit snug. If she ignored the loaded bomb and sore ankles she could fool herself into believing she wasn't pregnant. Clark was in as much denial about impending parenthood as she was. He acted as if they were the only two in this family.

Linda King's crack about the abnormal pregnancy was getting to Clark. He was terrified the babies would kill her inside the womb. Her rapid growth scared him shitless. She scared herself. They played with the maternity lingerie all Sunday and she woke up this morning looking like the Venus of Willendorf times ten. He hated what his alien nature was doing to her. Her fat ass repulsed Clark.

At least his adoring fans seemed to appreciate her. Her desk was buried under a mountain of gifts from strangers: framed photographs of Lois and Superman; high-tech baby monitors from KedCorp; maternity clothes in various sizes and styles; customized baby Superman onesies and matching shirts – for baby and Mama; handmade crib from Bibbo with the Superman crest; a specially designed harness for flying with the twins from Dr. Klein with the heartfelt note:

Congratulations,

Miracles take some time. You're both going to be amazing parents. If you need anything don't be a stranger. I'm here to help.

She teared up after reading that. She was truly pregnant. This was happening. She carried the next generation of Kryptonians. The massive responsibility of keeping a dying race alive made her knees turn to jelly. It was a good thing she was already sitting, cause she felt like she was about to faint.

She was utterly alone. No one could understand what she was going through. Most moms-to-be had nine months to prepare for their bundle of joy. She had four weeks if she could control herself. At this rate, she'd go into labor before Lucy.

"KENT!" Perry screamed at the top of his lungs. "CLARK JOSEPH KENT."

Lois wiped her eyes just as there was a whoosh, papers fluttered all over creation and Clark appeared in the newsroom.

"So that's why the papers are always on the floor," a colleague said. "We need to invest in more paperweights."

"Sorry about that," Clark blurred around the bullpen, reorganizing the reports.

"FREEZE!"

Clark froze. He wore a blue Superman tee and black jeans; a leather red jacket hung off his broad shoulders. His windswept black hair flowed to one side, hiding his weary gaze.

"You're a busy man so I am going to cut to the chase," Perry met Clark's gaze. "You are off the Justice League story for obvious reasons."

"But the Justice League is . . ."