Fuchsia City - Part 4

Orange, morning rays mixed with the purple, morning haze to filter a bronze glow into the Pokémon Centre. Abby sat across from Green in a booth. Plates of scrambled eggs, half-eaten, lay before them. Lounging, Dragonair was stretched out on the booth’s back, basking in the bronze light and chewing on a purple stick. Cross-legged, Machoke sat on the floor at the end of the booth’s table, rubbing sleep from his eye and chewing on an orange stick. Chattering from the girls’ conversation echoed off the barren tiles of the lobby.

“Really? Just one Pokémon?” Abby asked.

“Yeah, you should have seen him. Looked like he’d had the soul sucked right out of him,” Green said.

“Damn, you nervous then?”

“Nah. Jackson only lost like that cause he didn’t prepare. Besides, today’s just for scouting. I don’t care if I lose.”

“That’s a pretty brutal tactic.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, sending in your team to get brutalised like that. Don’t they care?”

“Nah, getting injured is just part of the fun for them.”

“Really?”

Abby looked to Dragonair. A nod, followed by a yawn answered her.

“You wanna come along?” Green asked, standing.

“Uh, nah. I’ve uh, got training to do.”

“How’s that going anyway? We didn’t really get to catch up last night.”

Abby poked at her scrambled eggs.

“Charmeleon’s a nightmare. Ever since he evolved he just won’t listen to a thing I say. He’s only ever calm in the mornings and even then he still ignores me.”

“Don’t worry, it’s normal. You just gotta figure out what makes him tick now. Right, Machoke?”

“M-Ma!”

Sheepishly, Machoke grinned.

“I’m trying. Got any suggestions?” Abby asked.

Green shrugged.

“When Primeape won’t listen to me, I use a firm tone. Try that.”

“I’ve tried that.”

“Well, maybe he needs something to take his energy out on. Sparring might help.”

“Oh…”

“Tell you what. Tomorrow we’ll have a practice battle.”

“Uh… thanks, Green.”

“No problem. Now, I gotta get going. I wanna get in early to challenge Janine. Good luck.”

“You too.”

Green leaned over the table. Her arms wrapped around Abby in a warm, all-encompassing embrace. The urge to flinch flashed through her but Abby stiffly resisted with slow, deep breaths. The hug was nice. The hug was warm. The hug was from a friend. They broke apart and Green gave her a reassuring smile before leaving with Machoke into the morning haze.