3 - This Stunning Documentary (That No One Else Unfortunately Saw)

Alex woke up the next day slightly hungover. He hadn't even been that drunk, surely the walk home had sobered him up at the latest but his head was apparently not having mercy on him.
Once he had gotten up he realised it wasn't as bad as he had feared though, so he had a quick shower and got dressed.
It was already past noon by the time he was finally ready.

Down in the kitchen, he decided to have no more than some toast for breakfast. His parents weren't around, his father probably in his study or somewhere else about the house.
Just when he began to wonder where his Mum might be, he heard the sound of the back door closing and footsteps approaching him.
"Good morning, Sleepyhead", she said as she entered and smiled at her son. She went to get herself a glass of water, still wearing shoes and an old jumper that had some very visible patches of dirt on it. She had probably been gardening.

"Morning, Mum", Alex replied numbly, adding to her 'joke' since it wasn't actually morning anymore.
"It's lovely out! Do you have any plans for the day?"
"Uhm, the lads are coming over for practice later. But that's it, I think."
"You're really giving it your all aren't you? You've been practicing almost every day."

At that moment, David walked in and greeted his wife with a quick peck on the cheek. Alex pulled a face.
"Of course they're giving it their all! They're gonna do great things, you know", he commented on the previous question.
"I know they will. It's such a shame you never let us have a listen!"
"You will soon enough", Alex answered, "it's not long now until the gig."
"Yes", said Penny, "I'm just saying it would be nice to get a little update every now and again."
"Well, it's not entirely up to me. We're very democratic, what can I do?"
"I see."
David chuckled.

"So did you all have fun last night? Have you got a headache? You weren't home too late, were you? I thought I heard you coming."
Alex shook his head.
"Yeah no, it were fine, Miles and I just left quite early."

Penny left the room leaving Alex and his Dad alone in the kitchen. This usually led to an immediate conversation on music theory or other aspects concerning the subject. It was no different now: As soon as she got back after taking off her shoes, David was giving Alex some apparently very valuable advice for their upcoming gig.
When they had finished their dialogue - or paused it, at least - Penny asked Alex: "Is that your jacket there on the banister?"
She had noticed it on her way back through the hallway and past the staircase.

Alex had to think for a moment, not knowing what she was referring to.
"What jacket?"
"That black one over there. It's not yours, is it? Or did you get some new clothes? You never do! How many times have I told you you need to get yourself a new pair of trainers? You can't do that, but you buy yourself a new jacket. I mean, you can do whatever you want, you're old enough, but don't you think it would have made more sense to go with the trainers?!"
Apparently this was a trigger for her.
"I- no"- and that was when he finally remembered. "No Mum, that's not mine. It's Miles's."

Nobody said anything for a few seconds.
"Oh", Penny finally expressed.
There were more seconds of utter silence. Alex felt his body tensing up. Why was this making him so uncomfortable?
"And why is it here?" Penny asked cautiously.
"It's- He, well, I-", Alex stuttered. "He lent it to me last night."
Penny just looked at him. So did David. What was happening? Why was this so interesting?
"It was cold", Alex added hoping it would solve some kind of issue within the situation.

He was getting more uneasy so he got up and put away his plate, much to Penny's surprise.
There was nothing to add to that awkward conversation, Alex thought, so he decided it best to leave his parents to it and flee to his room for now.
Once he had left the kitchen and they heard him going up the stairs, Penny and David exchanged a look. It contained a mixture of confusion, suspicion and amusement.
"Did you also think that he was blushing just now?" Penny asked and was met with agreement from her husband.