Chapter 7: The Red Book

(WARNING/TW: SUICIDE!⚠️)

The air was stiff and quiet. A silhouette was sitting inside of an abandoned shack, staring at what seemed to be a poorly torn map with large red X's marked onto it. The map looked like it was about to tear itself apart any minute. And in this condition, it probably would.
The way the silhouette's eyes were glued to the piece of paper, one would think that they were somehow brainwashed by it.

   "I'm back!"

Slowly lifting their head from the map, the silhouette's eyes were met with the voice, narrowing.
   "And I've got great news."
The silhouette blinked but didn't reply. They were clearly agitated by the interruption.
   "I killed the Sheriff!" It was that moment that the voice finally walked into the light to reveal themselves with tiny dots of blood trickled across their face; gun in hand.
The silhouette blinked at them and let out a low grunt. It sounded almost animal like.
The silhouette who made the noise looked to be much larger than the voice who had revealed themselves, which seemed pretty odd, and not to mention a little horrifying.
   "And now that the bastard's dead, we can go in guns blazin'!" The man whistled and jumped into the air, clicking the heels of his boots together, twirling his pistol into his holster. "The town and it's loot will be ours!" Turning towards a shattered window, he continued. "And everyone will finally know the name of-"
The silhouette's low growl behind him had interrupted the man's enthusiasm.
   "Oh come on! Aren't you happy? I killed him."
   "Yeah, on your own." It almost took the man by surprise when his partner in crime spoke in such a deep tone. "We're supposed to work together."
The man swallowed. "Y-yeah, I know. But I saw the opportunity, and I took it. That stupid sheriff, shag, slag or something like that, whatever, I don't fucking know. He left Western Spaghetti and--"
Before the man could finish his explanation, the silhouette let out another low growl. "Why didn't you tell me any of this?" Her voice was no longer questioning. It was full of rage. "Aren't we supposed to be a team?!"
   "Yes, of course. And I wouldn't have it any other way. I could never ask for a better partner... literally." The man scanned up and down the silhouette's enormous body.
They narrowed their eyes, but again didn't remark.
   "Now as I was saying before being RUDELY INTERRUPTED.... the sheriff had left Western Spaghetti in the hands of the SMG guy."
The silhouette snorted. "Which one? Theirs like five of them."
   "The blue one." The man reciprocated the attitude. He didn't have time for this nonsense.
   "Which blue one?"
   "You know what I mean!" The man snapped, his voice stinging with annoyance as he stomped his foot down on the ground like a sulking toddler throwing a tantrum. "Anyways, they're left unguarded. And now that they have no Sheriff, we can go in and attack. You're welcome by the way." The man's tone gave away sarcasm at the end.
The silhouette rolled their eyes and finally stood up. "You're an idiot if you think it's that simple."
   "It is that simple!" The man snapped, almost stunned. "We go in, kill them all, we steal the loot and then we leave. So hard, is it? Meggy the Gargantua."
The giant narrowed her eyes, revealing themselves from the cloaked darkness and into the flickering light. "Dumb ass."
   "Remember what happened with pink chick?"
   "Yeah, I ate her." Meggy's tone was filled with mockery. "And I'll eat you too if you don't smarten up."
   "Oh, don't you dare talk to me like that! I run this sim..." He trailed off. His voice let out a small crack. He was going to give something away that could of possibly ruined his entire plan. Not that she was conscious anyway...
   "What? What do you run?"
   "Nothing." The man retorted sharply. "I'm just saying that I'm the leader here, and you do what I say."
The man almost thought he heard Meggy whisper; "Not for long," under her breath, but he shook it off. "Lets get to work." The man clapped his hands in a mocking manner, marching towards the map while Meggy loomed over him. "We'll strike in a few nights from now. When everybody is vulnerable. I've already done my job, so now it's your turn to do yours."
   "Won't they have a new Sheriff by then?"
   "You think any of them are stupid enough to take on such a role? Are you kidding? Especially after what happened with pink tits?"
Meggy snorted. "Whatever you say, Wren."
Wren couldn't understand why Meggy had been so... saucy with him recently? Was it because she was a giant and thought so little of him? It was as if she had a mind of her own. No, their was no way that was possible. She's in my control. She's in my world. She should be seeing me as her leader! Not some piece of dirt on her boot.
Wren found himself staring directly into her soulless eyes. She seemed mind controlled, but her behavior said otherwise. What was going on? Was this world failing him?