34: Hollow

It felt like you had whiplash. Your head was spinning as you tried to come up with some sort of explanation for what you'd seen.

A wrong number? No, it was from some app you'd never heard of. One of those bots that use the promise of sex to try to scam people?

Any hopes you'd had were quickly dashed with the next message she sent.

princessbeach99: "Wishing you were here, but I guess my own fingers will have to do for now ;) I'll send you an audio so you can hear just how bad I need you~ You want me to moan your name, Tomura?"

Oh. So, it seemed she really did know him. And, judging from what she'd written, this likely wasn't the first time she'd sent messages of that nature—either that or she was really really bold.

How long had this been going on? And if Tomura had her, then why did he feel the need to toy with you in the first place? It didn't make any sense.

With shaking hands, you set his phone back on the nightstand and pulled the covers off of your body. On unsteady legs, you moved around the room to grab the few things you'd brought with you—besides your clothes, which were still tumbling around in his dryer—before leaving. The hallway felt miles long, and ever-growing with each step you took. You could hear Tomura in the kitchen, opening cupboards.

What would you say to him? 'Oh, hey, sorry, I was accidentally snooping through your phone when I saw some other girl sexting you and now I'm panicking because I don't think you like me as much as I like you and i'm not ready to be hurt'? Absolutely the fuck not. You'd just have to lie.

You were getting pretty good at that.

Tomura's back was to you when you finally reached the end of the hallway. You were hoping a creaky floorboard might give you away or something so you wouldn't have to start the conversation, but you didn't have such luck.

"Hey," you said when you reached the kitchen island, hardly recognizing your own voice. You had to fix that.

He turned around. "What's up? You okay?"

You laughed off his question like you'd never heard anything more ridiculous than the idea of you being any less than 'okay' in this moment. "Yeah, yeah, i'm good. I just remembered I was supposed to meet Hana and Akiko for dinner, and if I don't leave now then i'll have to wear your clothes."

"Oh."

"Sorry, I—"

"No, it's fine. Of course you want to spend your birthday with your friends. I get it. I spent all day with you, anyway, so I guess it's only fair."

You nodded. "Thanks for getting it."

"'Course." He grabbed one of the mugs from the counter and put it back in the cupboard. "Just text me later if you want to hang out, or whatever. I'll be around."

"'Kay, see ya." You hurried out of his apartment before he had a chance to try to kiss you goodbye or anything. You knew you wouldn't be able to keep up the act if he did—you barely made it out of his apartment without completely falling apart.

You thought it would be messy, with violent sobs that completely wracked your body, but that wasn't the case. You just felt. . .

hollow.

The stinging sensation you felt as freezing air hit the wet skin of your cheeks was what finally made you realize that you'd started crying.

Why did you keep doing this? Why did you give so many chances to people who didn't deserve it? You were too trusting and you always ended up hurt as a result.