CHAPTER 8 - He's Hiding Something

Be the cool kid dave strudel

Friday. Finally. My favorite day of the week.

I sat up and rubbed my eyes, sweeping my hair out of my face. Well, most of it so that I could see. I looked around my room, just as quiet and tranquil as it usually is in the morning, watching as the sun's rays slowly filtered through the slightly open blinds. I grabbed my shades off my nightstand, putting them on and seeing everything get a bit darker as usual.

Something told me today was going to be a good day, just like every Friday. I felt it in my gut.

And my gut is never wrong, or so I tell myself because it hasn't been yet.

I threw on a random outfit I had picked out the week before because I thought it looked cool, exiting my room after putting on my shoes. The door still made the same horrible squeaking sound as always. Everything was just the usual so far. Just a normal Friday, waking up, going to school and seeing everyone, and then coming home. The usual.

I went to the bathroom as I usually did in the morning to get myself the rest of the way ready, taking my shades off for a second so I could properly style my hair. I flinched when I saw my eyes, even though I should be used to seeing them by now because they're literally a part of me and I see them every day. I just shrugged off all of the thoughts jumbled up in my head, sweeping my hair out of my face again, but this time to where it looked good. Or at least looked decent. I really didn't know what people saw in me.

When I was done and entered the living room, I saw Dirk sitting on the couch eating his cocoa pebbles. Nothing was on, no sound I could hear except for the sound of my breathing and the very faint sounds of him chewing until he noticed me and flinched a bit.

"Damn, dude, you're getting quieter and creepier by the day," He jokingly commented, and I smiled slightly at that.

"That's the point," I replied, walking into the kitchen. "And I guess it's working cause I'm able to scare you of all people now."

I poured myself some cereal as well and sat on the couch, the side opposite of Dirk. We sat in the oddly comfortable silence for a while, just both eating.

After I was finished, I took both of our bowls to the kitchen, the two of us sharing a nod of respect as he got up to leave. I still had a little time before I had to go, but I still hadn't gotten all of my stuff gathered yet.

I went back to my room, not needing to flick the lights on or anything, just grabbing my bags and heading out. I just sat on the porch until I saw a particularly shaken and tired Karkat, then getting up and going over to him.

"Hey man," I gave him a small smile and he gave a small forced looking one back. "So what's up? You seem super tired. Something wrong?"

"NO, I'M ALRIGHT. JUST... DIDN'T GET MUCH SLEEP LAST NIGHT," He responded as we started walking.

"If you say so I guess."

"I DO SAY SO. AND I'M BEING HONEST. AND DON'T FUCKING PUSH IT."

"Alright, alright, chill," I was honestly a bit concerned about him. He looked like he saw something unforgettable. Something that was forever burned into his soul. But I related to that. A bit too much, actually. I just wished he'd let me help him.

We walked along in a tense silence before I saw John up ahead coming out of his house. He noticed us automatically, smiling and waving. "Hey Dave! Hey Karkat!"

I waved back, also slightly smiling. "Hey John," I called as he ran, or basically skittered like a creature, over to us.

"HEY," Karkat said when John was finally walking beside me. John just smiled and waved at him again.

"Karkat, are you alright? You look tireder than usual. And also like you saw a ghost," John chimed in with a concerned look on his face.

"FOR ONE, TIREDER ISN'T A WORD. AND FOR TWO, I'M COMPLETELY FUCKING FINE. ARE NORMAL PERSON ANSWERS NOT ENOUGH FOR YOU HUMANS?" Karkat snapped, causing John to flinch a bit. Because Karkat was never even this quick to anger, and that was saying something, because he was just an angry person in general. But something about me wanted to protect him. He was probably my best friend other than John, even though we've only known each other for a short time.

"Damn, sorry..." John turned his head faced forward again, though still looking at the abnormally tired Karkat from the corner of his eye.

Karkat looked down at the pavement we walked on, a slightly guilty look on his face, but overall he just looked tired and angry. I wondered, no, I knew he wasn't okay. But I didn't want to push it. I didn't push it because I hated when people did that to me. And I didn't want to be a hypocrite.

When we finally got to school, Nepeta almost immediately tackle-hugged Karkat. Or... pounce-greeted? Whatever she called it.

Karkat immediately hissed, pushing her off. "I'M NOT IN THE MOOD RIGHT NOW, LEIJON."

":??< why not, karkitty? and mew're always at least nicer than this!! what is this?" Nepeta just gestured widely to Karkat.

"I'M JUST NOT IN THE MOOD FOR YOUR BULLSHIT TODAY. I'M NOT REALLY IN THE MOOD FOR ANYTHING, HONESTLY, BUT HERE I AM! IT'S A FUCKING MIRACLE I'M STILL STANDING HERE RIGHT NOW WHILE YOU THREE KEEP TRYING TO DIG TO THE BOTTOM OF MY THINK PAN. I HATE ALL OF YOU RIGHT NOW, AND LITERALLY JUST GO DIE. I WOULDN'T CARE. JUST STOP FUCKING WITH ME! THAT IS ALL I'M ASKING! IT'S THE SIMPLEST THING EVER, EVEN YOUR UNDERSIZED, UNDERDEVELOPED HUMAN THOUGHT SPONGES WOULD MOST LIKELY BE ABLE TO FIGURE IT OUT. BUT ALAS, WE'RE HERE RIGHT NOW HAVING THIS CONVERSATION. ARE YOU DEAF? OR PERHAPS SUFFERING SOME SORT OF BRAIN DAMAGE? YOUR THINK PAN NUMBING IMBECILITY ASTOUNDS ME. NO, EXASPERATES ME. NOW FUCK OFF. I CAN'T STAND TO BE AROUND PEOPLE SO VOID OF INTELLECT AS THEY ARE PERSONALITY."

I looked around after, sort of embarrassed for him as he walked away. He had caught nearly everyone in the area's attention and their eyes followed him.

"And you're sure you want to be friends with this guy?" John asked, nudging me.

"Well, he's obviously not usually like this. You've met the other him," I replied without even looking back at him, and he just hummed a response in acknowledgement.

Nepeta was staring after Karkat, her gaze regretful before she turned it to us. And I could tell she wasn't kidding by how determined she looked.

">:((< we're going to make a karkat intervention."

Now be the depressed little kitkat who just made the worst decision of his life

Fuck this. Why did I say that? I thought I was past that. Letting my negativity swallow me whole. I never want to be who I was before. Because who I was before was awful.

I mean, I just told three of my only friends to go die. If they come back, pricklebeasts will fly. Same difference, same chance.

And by they, I mean Egbert and Strider. Because Nepeta always comes back. Almost always.

As I walked through the courtyard, I felt everyone's eyes on me. This is probably one of the worst things that could have happened. Right next to literally being murdered. If I'm being completely honest, that probably would have been better. But, going back to what I said earlier, it isn't my fault I saw something that would traumatize anyone. Something that stabbed my mental state right in the blood pumper. It's idiotic how one thing can do this to a person.

When the bell finally rang, I went straight to the bathroom, just locking myself in a stall and hiding myself as well as I could. I wouldn't be able to stand being around people right now. Especially not after bursting into a rant in front of half of them.

This was going to be a long day.

╞═════𖠁♋︎𖠁═════╡

hi guys!!! i know i havent updated in a super long time, but i finally shoved another chapter in your face. youre welcome.

if anyone can guess what happened to karkat youll get an award because no one can figure it out (i promise)

anyway bye guys ill write more soon