CHAPTER 14: I Could Give A List

be the skrunkly crab creature

Today is Monday. October 2nd, to be exact, but still Monday, which means school. And school means that I absolutely hate my life.

I woke up with a big stretch, just rolling off the beanbag in the corner of Dave's room that I slept on because I couldn't bother getting up like a normal person. I looked over at Dave's bed. He was already up and somewhere. I decided to finally actually stand up, because how else would I get around? I was not about to wriggle around the house like an abnormally long grub even though that was what my think pan wanted me to do.

After throwing on a random outfit that was very clear that there was no thought process behind it, I peeked around the door frame. No one there.

"Boo."

I jumped at the voice, spinning around immediately to face the younger one of Dave's two older brothers.

"JEGUS FUCK, YOU ALMOST GAVE ME CARDIAC ARREST," I breathed, snapping myself out of panic mode. Dirk snickered and I just crossed my arms as he walked off. This guy had absolutely zero social skills and it was very, very visible.

"I guess I know who's up now," Dave basically swung himself around the door frame of the bathroom, only half of his hair styled like he liked it. The rest of it was a frizzy and tangled mess, and I couldn't help myself and bursted into a giggle fit. He frowned at me. "What?"

It took me a second to regain myself before also having to cough for about five wasted seconds. I looked back up at Dave, almost laughing again. "SO, 'NEVER HAD A BAD HAIR DAY', HUH? LIAR."

"Oh, shut up, I can fix it. I always do," Dave disappeared into the bathroom again, and I just went back to my oversized beanbag chair to sit and wait after grabbing my bag from the corner of the room. Not long later, he finally showed his face again with his now annoyingly perfect hair. "Told ya," He flipped his hair. Not that there was much to flip.

"I DON'T THINK YOU KNOW HOW STUPID YOU LOOK WHEN YOU DO THAT."

"Trust me, I do. Now let's go, we don't want to be late," He vanished down the hallway like he wanted me to chase after him. I just stood up and walked after him, not bothering to waste my energy. I needed that energy for the school day. He was holding the door opened, which was definitely expected, because he's Dave Strider. Who else stands there at the door and doesn't walk out themselves until their friend/roommate does?

"Ladies first," He gestured to the door like one would. I just stared him down.

"SO THAT MEANS YOU, THEN?"

He shook his head at me in defeat and walked out the door. I followed, waiting on him when he turned to lock it. He turned back, smiled ever so slightly and gave me a thumbs up before we walked down the stairs of the apartment complex. Stupid Striders, having to live on the top floor. Walking up and down these stairs every day is torture. Especially when Dave is either all the way up or all the way down before I even get the chance to take a step.
Just like I thought, when I reached the bottom, Dave was already there and he had the look like he'd been standing there for hours.

"What took you so long?"

"SHUT UP, IT'S NOT MY FAULT THAT YOU'RE SHAPED LIKE THE LETTER I," I growled at him, pushing the door open myself.

"And it's not my fault you're built like a pebble mixed with a mini KitKat bar," He closed the door behind him and I rolled my eyes.

"YOU'RE SO FAR GONE THAT ALL YOU CAN THINK OF ARE HEIGHT JOKES, SEEMS LIKE YOUR THOUGHT SPONGE GOT EMPTIED INTO A TRASH CAN YESTERDAY."

"Damn, Karks, I'm hurt. I have an amazing brain, I'll have you know."

"SURE."

We walked in silence the rest of the way, and I felt sort of loosened up from the small playful argument. Not that it was a real argument. The only time I've had one of those was with myself. We got to the school directly before the bell rang, which meant that I either woke up a bit late or Dave took way too long messing with his hair, and it wasn't my fault if it was the latter. Even though I decided to wait for him.