2. Waiter!

"Tobi, my old friend!" greeted the dwarf, shaking hands, and looked around contentedly. "Great! I see you've found some companions, too!" His eyes sparkled upon seeing Dupe. "Still haven't found anyone to change you back?"

"Nope, everyone I found asked a lot of money. But here's Aura..." he gestured to the elf girl sitting rather grumpily. "Once her magic ban expires, she'll do it for me."

The girl didn't even have the strength to protest anymore. When did they decide they were a team and that she would change anyone back? Was it when she was staring at the statue or when she went for food?

Sessom turned to the girl, bowed politely, and kissed her hand. Aura awkwardly extended her hand, not understanding what the handsome young man wanted. Then he sat down next to the winged one and stared at Aura.

"Your name sounds familiar to me. So you're banned... wait a minute, aren't you the one who teleported the whole Loyalty team away during the battle just before victory was within reach with just a few sword strokes?"

Aura's face stretched slightly, trying to forget or pretend that the event didn't happen to her.

"I don't remember it exactly like that. If I hadn't teleported them away, everyone would have died..."

"Haha, I adore you, girl! The whole empire is laughing at them!" Sessom slapped his knee and laughed uproariously.

Under different circumstances, the elf girl would have welcomed such a statement. But there was something arrogant and conceited about the king's soldier that repelled her, the little simple elf girl.

"You mean they're laughing at me... " she averted her gaze.

"Oh, they don't even know who you are. If I were you, I wouldn't mention being banned too often. And if it weren't about the Loyalty, they probably wouldn't ban you. But they can handle that too, easily. I think they deserved it. I'd say you did it intentionally!" he winked at the girl.

"Could you wink at one of the waiters? We've been waiting for food and drinks for ages, but nothing's happening; this place is a disaster. I'm about to starve!" Aura redirected the conversation.

"But of course, for my favorite little elf!" said Sessom, then loudly exclaimed: "Waiter!"

His voice spurred at least three waiters toward their table as if they were competing. The most agile one awaited their order with a broad smile and a bow.

"The lady has already ordered, but they haven't received it yet, so it'll be four beers and a four-person platter with everything, or rather three and a vegetarian one, right?" he looked around questioningly. All three eventually turned to the girl.

"I'm not a vegetarian if you're referring to me," Aura said.

"You're not? Then it's a four-person platter, and quickly!"

The waiter disappeared, accidentally bumping into several people in his hurry.

Tobi observed the events with interest but was eager for them to focus on their matter.

"Did you find out anything about the person?" he tried to be discreet.

The soldier removed his sword and placed it beside him on the table, indicating that he was off-duty.

"I don't think you should keep it secret because you'll need their help. You must go to Oner, where they don't welcome dwarves."

Three waiters appeared, bringing platters laden with meats, fresh bread, and the four beers. Aura was the first to start eating, devouring incredibly quickly. Dupe watched in amazement.

"I think you should slow down; you might choke. When was the last time you ate?" he asked, picking small bites from the meat.

The girl ignored him. She was only thinking about alleviating her hunger.

"So, what's this mission about? I seriously meant it when I said I'd help. But I'm also curious if there's any reward; I'm quite pissed off," Dupe inquired.

All three looked at Aura, who had a chicken leg in each hand, and alternated bites between them. When she saw everyone looking at her, she stopped and looked around questioningly. "What's going on?"

"Will you help me with the mission? That's the question?" Tobi said. Aura's mouth was full, so Dupe answered instead.

"What would she do? She can't practice healing. She's completely free, so I think she'll join us."

"Excuse me, but can I also have a say? I have my plans; that's why I came to the capital. I want to develop my warrior skills."

"Seriously? Couldn't you think of anything better?" Dupe asked.

Though Tobi was convinced it was foolish to involve the two strange characters in his mission, he had to admit that he couldn't recruit team members suddenly. But he didn't even know why he had to go to Oner.

"If you come with me to Oner, I'll pay you well for your efforts. But I don't even know why we need to go there," Tobi looked questioningly at Sessom.

"Yes, it's about that. I heard Morte went there because of a girl, and he hasn't returned since," said Sessom.

Aura perked up. She even stopped eating. "Seriously, do we have to search for the heir to the throne?"

"Now the situation becomes more interesting, doesn't it?" said Sessom, then continued, "He went to Oner half a year ago, and nobody has heard from him since."

"That's strange," Tobi said, "this behavior doesn't suit Morte."

Dupe disagreed. "What's so strange about it? If someone falls in love, wouldn't they go after the loved one?"

"It's not that part that's strange, but it's been over half a year. There's been no news of him since then. Now, with his father being seriously ill, he should be there. It might be worth finding out if Sol sent anyone to look for him," Tobi inquired.

Aura stopped eating, leaned back comfortably, and sipped her beer. She could focus on what the others were talking about now. She tried to summarize what she had heard. "So, Tobi, you're afraid that maybe it's not in Sol's interest for his brother to reappear anytime soon? Or if we think further, maybe he's involved in his disappearance?"

Tobi nodded, and Sessom also agreed with a nod.

"However, if it turns out that Sol has already sent someone to look for him, then all this planning would be unnecessary," Aura continued.

"That's true. Then I'll try to find out if they're secretly searching," said Sessom. "Where are you staying?"

"I'm at the Blue Cat Inn," said Tobi.

"I just arrived, so nowhere yet. But I planned to talk to the priests first. But the temple seems to be closed now," said Aura.

"It's closed on market days, yes," said Sessom. "I think you should stay in one place. The Blue Cat Inn would be a good choice. I'll look for you there if I find out anything. Is that good for you, too, Dupe?"

"Well, I'll change back at night, at sunset. I spent the night under the bridge last night. But that place suits me perfectly; it's funny to watch the fishermen try to catch monster fish."

"Well, I'd be curious about that too. I'd accompany you. Morte used to love fishing, but that was long ago..."