12. The promise

Satiated and determined by the task's weight, they prepared for rest. The elf girl went further away from the others, seeking a suitable place to bathe.

The full moon shimmered silvery in the water's reflection, creating a feeling like they had arrived in a fairy-tale place. She found a rocky area on the lake's shore that extended into the water, thinking it would be a suitable spot for an evening wash. So, she began to take off her shoes, sat down, and dipped her feet into the water. However, someone else found this place suitable, too, as from above, she glimpsed the dark elf's white hair glistening in the water. When he emerged from the water, he was face to face with Aura.

The girl was surprised, and to ease her embarrassment, she pulled out a small vial of herbal mixture she used for washing her hair. "I have a herbal blend for hair. Would you like some?"

Elgatto swam closer to see what it was. Aura continued, "If you want, I can help; I'll wash your hair." The dark elf was first surprised, then he approached closer, allowing her to reach his head, and turned his back to the girl.

Aura poured some of the fragrant ointment into her palm and spread it on the dark elf's head, lathering it up and occasionally dipping her hand in water.

"It smells good!" Elgatto remarked.

"Yes, and it's good for your hair, too; it will make it shinier," the girl replied, surprised to find that the ointment's scent was overwhelmed by the man's.

"Aura," Elgatto began uncertainly. "I must tell you something because I don't want to hurt you. When I go back home, someone is waiting for me—a girl. So, I have a fiancée whom I promised to marry as soon as I return."

His words dropped like heavy stones, freezing Aura in her movements. Suddenly, as if stung by a wasp, she let go of the man's hair and began apologizing. "I didn't... I didn't mean it that way. I'm sorry if you misunderstood. I'd better go. Are you going to finish washing your hair?"

With that, she nervously jumped up, wiped her foamy hands on her clothes, grabbed her shoes, and rushed back to their campsite.

Everyone was already asleep; only Nerina sat by the fire; she was the next sentinel. She sat beside the girl and patted her hand, still feeling the scent of the man's hair.

"What's wrong? What happened with the handsome dark elf?" Nerina kindly nudged her with her elbow.

"Who? Oh, nothing. What would there be?" she answered.

"I can see it, how he looks at you, how he's always around you..."

"No, there's nothing; besides, he has a fiancée..." she sighed. "I'm just so unlucky in these matters of love..."

"Oh, come on, you're still young. It'll happen. I bet you left your beautiful little elf village because of a love disappointment!" But seeing the elf girl's sad expression, she hugged her shoulder and began to inquire. "Am I right?"

Aura nodded, struggling with her tears. "Yes, there was a boy we were in love with, but my parents didn't approve of him, and neither did his parents approve of me..."

"Do you also have this custom of arranged marriages?" Nerina handed a handkerchief to the girl.

"Yeah..." Aura sniffled. "But we agreed that we wouldn't obey our parents and stand against them. I talked to my father and broke off my engagement, and it was a huge scandal. Ultimately, I was left alone; he did nothing and bowed to his parents' will. He married the girl... and I couldn't bear to stay there anymore, to watch them happily live and have children... and everyone laughed at me..."

"Oh, poor thing. That boy didn't deserve you!" Nerina comforted.

"No, I'm not lucky in this. Fate has something else in store for me, I'm sure now!" the elf girl composed herself.

"Maybe someone cursed you, so your karma is bad!" She rummaged in her pockets, then pulled out a red thread. She grabbed Aura's hand and tied it around, muttering something. "Don't take this off; let it fall off by itself. And when it falls off, you'll know your karma is cleansed!" She held the girl's wrists tightly, concentrating as if observing the wrist's movements, and muttered something again. Then she finished, smiling broadly. "The universe wants something from you because we found the medal because of you, so don't be discouraged by such foolishness. It will happen if it's meant to be; if not, you must let it go! Just look at Keenan and me. Do you think it was easy for us?"

She couldn't finish because Elgatto returned and sat by the fire: "Nerina, go rest; I'll take over the watch because I need to dry off. I'll wake you up later."

Aura looked at the red thread on her wrist, absentmindedly twirling it, not realizing that Elgatto was sitting closer.

"You're a wonderful girl, and if circumstances were different..." he whispered.

"Don't apologize, there's no need!" Aura smiled. "Let's just be friends!" and she reached out her hand towards him.

"Friends?" Elgatto asked hesitantly, but he also extended his hand. He held the girl's hand thoughtfully, then, as if he remembered something, let go and nodded.

The fire crackled warmly, and from afar, nervous hyena barks could be heard from the canyon. These were the sounds of animals disturbed by humans.