Chapter 1-10

Chapter 1

In 1958, the sun was hot in June.

Five thirty in the afternoon, Yunshui County.

It was time to get off work at the county steel rolling mill. As soon as the factory door opened, the crowd was filled with workers and masters in navy blue overalls, pushing bicycles home. After a while, the courtyard of the steel mill became noisy.

The residents of the large courtyard returned home one after another, taking showers, cooking, cooking, the sound of clanging rice and splashing water, and the whole alley was filled with the aroma of lard and sugar cakes.

The steel factory paid wages today, and the wives in the courtyard all had smiles on their faces. When a few families were cooking, there was rarely any meat on the chopping boards.

The men were shirtless and chatting away in the alley, while the women took advantage of the time when the coal stove was being lit to hold a few pieces of fried pumpkin seeds and chatted happily about the gossip in the courtyard.

"Hey, it's been a few days, why doesn't the daughter-in-law of the old Gu family next door still go out?"

"What are you going out for? I am a young daughter-in-law who has just entered the house. It has only been a few days. Young girls are sometimes shy."

"You are already married, what kind of big girl is it? Marrying into this big courtyard, no matter how charming the little daughter-in-law is, in a few years she will become a yellow-faced woman like us."

"Don't mention it, the daughter-in-law of Lao Gu's family is really pretty. Her face and figure are as pretty as a spring flower."

The person who said this was the rich aunt from the courtyard. A sharp-faced woman with big pigtails next to her spat out two mouthfuls. She put her feet up and saliva flew all over the sky. "What's the use of being pretty? She's the only one left in the whole family. We are almost going to be broke, why haven't we been sent to our courtyard by my uncle's family!"

The sharp-faced woman obviously meant something in her words, which aroused the curiosity of the women around her.

"From the Shengcai family, why did you say this?"

"Hey, you don't know?"

"What do you know? Isn't this marriage arranged by the Gu family a long time ago?"

"Yes, I heard that it was ordered by the old man of Uncle Mancang's family before liberation."

The sharp-faced woman curled her thick lips up and down after listening to the big guy's words, with a mysterious look on her face, "It's true that the Gu family's marriage was arranged by the elders of the family, but the bride who was married has been replaced by someone else."

"Ah, is this the case?"

"Don't say nonsense without any basis."

When someone questioned herself, Shengcai's wife immediately became anxious. She raised her hand and swore, "We are not lying. The girl we were going to marry was named Lin Hongna. Somehow, that girl lost her clothes in the river. When she woke up, she would make a fuss at home, refusing to get married, and even hanged herself several times because of this fuss. Oh, I scared my parents so much that I had no choice but to marry my own niece in exchange for it."

"Hey, is there such a cruel uncle in the world? Can the girl herself be willing?"

"What can you do if you don't want to? The girl's parents are gone, and only one brother is left to serve as a soldier in Xinjiang. The girl lives alone. Isn't that just like the meat on the chopping board, left to be manipulated by others? This matter lives in the Lin family. The news has spread all over the village, and what's more, that Lin Hongna is arrogant and doesn't look down on the farmers, nor does she look down on our courtyard, and she only wants to climb the branches!"