Paternal sin

Kai poked around his plate. He had sat opposite from Skylor, who was giving him worried looks.

He felt betrayed, knowing that if he lost, he would lose his very own identity.

He was fire; fire was him.

All, apparently, shared the feeling.

Those who weren't skeptical, that is.

He could see Shade looking at the new guys suspiciously.

Their sister and them, the two masters of shadow, were never really the believing kind of people.

He had met Rita; She was awesome. She took Shade's spot in last year's tournament, as Shade's girlfriend had broken her leg and they wanted to support her.

Kai didn't have the strength to look around the table. So many were missing.

Usually, the meals was when everyone was coming together.

Not this time. One of the kabuki offered him a fortune cookie, but he refused.

He just kept poking around.

Chen cleared his throat. He still didn't look up.

"It has come to my attention certain... rumors, that circle around."

Please, say they're not true. Please. Please-

"The rumors are true. I am stealing the power of everyone who loses." Kai felt his stomach drop, while the lumping in his throat rose.

"However!" Everyone perked up. Kai barely breathed.

"It is not for me." Kai blinked.

"The winner of the tournament takes the Staff of Elements! The power of all!" Chen announced.

Kai looked up. For the first time, he looked around.

Lloyd stood up.

"You're lying! Neuro saw your plan in Clouse's mind!"

If looks could kill, Neuro would be dead.

"N-no, I didn't!" Neuro, you're a terrible liar...

"You're lying!" THANK YOU! "You just want the staff for yourself!" Griffin, no.

Kai let his head fall on the table. The table was an uproar, with people accusing others left and right. Kai excused himself and left, aware of the looks on his back.

He regretted ever running away from the orphanage.

The worst part is: Chen could be telling the truth.

He couldn't put it above him to want to just... spice things up.

Still. To give this much power to one person? That was a disaster waiting to happen.

He felt torn.

Ninjas had honor. They wouldn't just lie!

But Chen and Clouse raised him. They were his parents now. Parents who picked him, who wanted him around. Unlike his old ones. His old family.

He lost everything. Then, he found everything. And now, he was losing it again.

He felt like someone was choking him.

And just like that, he was ten again. Running away from the orphanage, after someone took his sister.

Sorry, adopted. Like that was supposed to make it better.

His parents, then his sister. Parents, then a sister. The parents again...

"Sky..." He rasped out. He didn't want to lose her. But why did it feel like history was repeating itself?