05 | 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐜𝐞

Oguz's parents kept looking at him as if he was already dying, and they were choosing flowers for his grave.

He saw the dangers. He wasn't blind. But he was willing to do it. He was willing to die for Nehir. For their love.

He still had hope. Maybe they'll manage to flee. Maybe they'll be lucky. And, maybe, after Metin's death, they'll be able to return.

The plans had altered a bit. They had planned to go to Ankara, but that was impossible now. Davut would feel insulted by Nehir running away, and Oguz had no idea what he and his son would do to them if they were caught. Ankara was no longer an option.

So, they'll go to Istanbul. They'll take a flight from there and go as far away as possible. Away from Metin, Davut, and all those who worked for them or with them. Away, where they both could be free.

Oguz's phone rang before he arrived at Hakan's house. It was one of his friends from Ankara whom Oguz had called after learning who had come. He wanted to learn more about Davut and his family.

"Hasan? What have you learned?"

"That you're an idiot," Hasan answered. "I don't even want to know why you are asking about Davut and his son!"

"Please. Just tell me what you've learned."

Was Davut like Metin? Did he have the same connections? The same friends and the same enemies? How hard would running from him prove to be?

"Saying Davut is a criminal puts it mildly. The man is dangerous. No one wants to be on his bad side. I don't know what you're trying to do, but don't do it. Not if you will turn Davut and his son in your enemies. Because you don't want them to hunt you down."

He couldn't have done anything Metin didn't. He couldn't be more dangerous than Nehir's father.

"What about his son?"

"I only know what I've heard. Yavuz is impulsive and as dangerous as Davut. He doesn't go against his father, though. They say he killed three people last week. Something was stolen from their deposit, and those three were the only ones left alive. He killed them in cold blood if what people say is true."

So, they were as bad as Metin. Maybe even worse. It didn't matter. Once they were abroad, Davut and Metin would stop the hunt. They wouldn't want to have more problems.

"Thank you."

"Just don't die."

"I'll try."

After ending the call, Oguz kept walking. He didn't have that much till he got to Hakan's house. Just a few more days, and he'll leave with Nehir. Things would finally go the way they wanted.

Hakan's house was as big as his father's, unsurprisingly as it had been left by Mrs. Aylin. From what Oguz knew, Metin's first wife had left a house for Hakan and another for Ayşe. A place where her children could live away from their father.

With three floors, the house was painted in a dark cream. The front garden had been carefully arranged by Mrs. Fidan, as well as the small terrace from behind. Three cars were parked in their usual spot, and Oguz could see the armed men standing near the door that led to the kitchen. While two were always at the gate, Hakan didn't like armed men walking around his property, so most stood there.

"You're here," Yusuf said. "Good. Mr. Hakan wants to see you. Come."

Yusuf was Hakan's most trusted man. He was almost fifty and had worked for Metin in his youth and then for Hakan. He was a short man with grey strands in his hair and beard and brown eyes that could see anything. Most importantly, he was loyal till death.

Oguz followed Yusuf, wondering what Hakan wanted to speak to him about. Nehir's brother suspected something, Oguz knew it. He had given him money to leave and had promised his family wouldn't be harmed. Oguz had a debt to pay, and he hadn't done it yet. But Hakan wanted him gone and was willing to handle that himself with Metin.

It was strange. For the six years Oguz had worked for him, Hakan hadn't even considered going against his father. Not even when Metin arranged a marriage for him. And now, Hakan was willing to try. Oguz wasn't sure he wanted to know why.

Yusuf led him to Hakan's office, reminding Oguz of the day a week ago when Nehir's brother had told him to leave. He hadn't given too many explanations.

You should leave, Hakan had told him. Next month. Handle anything you have to do, and then go away from this place. Away from my sister. I'll handle the debt, and I'll make sure nothing happens to your parents.

Hakan's office was nowhere as big as Metin's. It was a small room with shelves on a wall and a door leading to a balcony on another. The office was right behind the door and windows, the light usually illuminating the room. On the other wall were family pictures, even one with Hakan and Ayşe's mother.

"Leave us, Yusuf," Hakan said. "Take a seat, Oguz."

While Yusuf left the room, Oguz did as he was told, waiting for Hakan to say the reason he had called him there.

"Tea? Coffee? Water?" Hakan asked, and Oguz shaked his head.

He just wanted to get out of there as fast as possible.

"So, you're leaving at the end of the month, right?"

"Yes, sir."

Hakan nodded. "Good. Where do you plan to go?"

"To Cappadocia. I have an uncle there."

He wouldn't go to Cappadocia, but he did have an uncle there.

"And you won't come back."

"No, sir."

Hakan took a sip from his tea. He seemed to be pleased. Maybe he had just wanted to make sure Oguz would leave.

"I'll speak with my father after you leave. Your family's debt will be paid, and you'll have no reason to come back. Maybe they'll go to you later."

Oguz nodded. He had no intention of making Hakan suspect the truth. He knew his parents would leave eventually. It wasn't safe for them to stay. Not after what Oguz and Nehir would do. Metin would be furious, but Oguz knew Hakan well enough. Nehir's brother didn't like it when innocents got hurt. He would stop his father from doing something rushed.

Besides, if Metin turned against the people from the village, how long would it pass till they too turned on him? The testimony of some of those people could put Metin in jail for years.

"Oguz, I'm not blind. You love my sister. You love Nehir. But she can't be yours. You two are from different worlds. What do you think would happen if Nehir would marry you? Father will never accept, but even if he did, he wouldn't consider Nehir his daughter anymore. Ayşe can handle herself. She's already made a name for herself. She had a stable job and a husband, now. Nehir isn't Ayşe. And I can't protect her forever."

Hakan loved his sisters. That had always been clear to Oguz. To everyone. He would do anything to see Ayşe and Nehir safe. Even sacrifice their happiness.

"Give up on this love. Or you will only end up hurting Nehir more. If you love her, you will let her go. The price for her safety and your life is the love you have for her."