07 | 𝐄𝐧𝐠𝐚𝐠𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭

The restaurant had been arranged very beautifully. It was a private event, and only family members had been invited.

Four tables had been arranged in a square, the ceiling decorated with white flowers. Nehir's father and brothers were standing at one of the tables, and, with a glance towards her, Fidan joined them. In front of her family stood her uncle, aunt, and cousins, while at the other table there were only three chairs and all were empty. The fourth was the one closest to the door with only two chairs.

"Davut and Yavuz are outside with Taner," Dilek said. "He's Fidan's brother," she added after a moment.

"My brother is here?" Fidan asked.

"Yes. Ahmet sent his son."

Ahmet? Fidan was Ahmet Öztürk's daughter? Suddenly, Nehir understood why her father had arranged Hakan's marriage.

"I'll go bring them," Dilek said, leaving the restaurant.

"Sit," Neslihan told her daughter. "And stop looking like someone died."

She wasn't sure if the comment was about her face or her dress. Maybe both. She wore a long black dress with an asymmetrical neckline and golden earrings that had been a gift from her sister.

Nehir did as her mother told her, sitting at the table with two chairs. She kept her eyes on the table, even though she could feel everyone looking at her. Still, she couldn't force herself to smile or to look happy.

She knew it was just an engagement. She wasn't getting married. Yet. But it felt such a permanent thing. She felt as if leaving with a ring on her finger meant she would never take it off.

If she didn't stop the engagement, it would only be worse. Oguz said they could try running, but Nehir had her doubts. If she was Davut's future daughter-in-law, then it would make her running away his problem, too. Her father wouldn't chase her abroad. He wouldn't risk it. But Davut? She had no way of knowing what that man and his son would do to her if she ran.

She didn't hear Dilek when she came back. She didn't even notice them until someone sat next to her. Yavuz. Her fiancé. A stranger.

Her terror mounted with every breath, and her uneasy heart leapt in her chest. Her cold hands started shaking as she was weighted down by dread.

She had to do it. She had to. She just had to face tonight, and soon, she'll be free. She'll run away with Oguz. Away from her family and away from her father.

"We gathered here tonight," Metin said, "for a very happy event."

Nehir's gaze moved to her older brother. Hakan didn't look at her. It was just as it had been when her father told her about the engagement. It was happening all over again.

But this time, there was no tray to be dropped. This time, she had to make a choice. And she would choose her happiness over her father's business.

"Metin, excuse me. But is this a happy event?"

At the words, Nehir rose her gaze. She could feel everyone in the room holding their breath. No one knew how her father would react to that.

Davut only stared at his wife, who shruged. "What I mean to say is that Nehir doesn't look too happy."

"Dilek," Neslihan intervened. "Why wouldn't this be a happy event?"

"Well, I know Metin's techniques. Last time we were invited for a wedding, I know for a fact it wasn't a happy event."

"That matter was handled in the family," the only unknown man said. Fidan's brother.

Nehir could tell about what wedding they were talking about. Fidan's and Hakan's. She didn't remember seeing the Uçars there. She didn't even remember anyone else but her family. No one came from Fidan's relatives.

"Anyway, what I said is still true," Dilek leaned forward as she spoke.

"Davut, I thought you wanted this marriage," Nehir's father said. "If you changed your mind, you could have just said so."

"It's not that," Dilek said before her husband even had a chance of opening his mouth. "But the truth is that we don't want to force anyone. And Nehir doesn't look very happy about this. If you ask me, she looks on the verge of tears."

"You're right," Neslihan said. "Nehir isn't very happy because her sister isn't here. They are very close, but Ayşe chose not to be here. Nonetheless, I agree with you, Dilek. We also don't want to force anyone. But let's allow to Nehir say what she wants. This is about her, isn't it?"

"Exactly," Dilek said.

"Nehir," her father said. "Tell us. Our guests want reassurances. Do you want to marry Yavuz, daughter?"

Nehir closed her eyes but opened them again.

"Yes. I want to marry him."

No, I don't want to marry him.

But she had no choice. Maybe she never did.

Neslihan took the phone from her daughter's hand. "What do you think you're doing?"

Nehir didn't answer. She was sure her mother heard everything. What good would lying do to her? It wouldn't get her out of this.

"Plotting with your sister about how to embarrass our family even further? Listen to me, Nehir. In a few days, you'll have a ring on your finger. And next month you'll be married. Do you understand?"

Nehir rose from the bed. "I won't do it," she said. "I'm not getting engaged. I'm not even going to the engagement unless you decide dragging me there won't cause an embarrassment."

"What's his name?" Neslihan asked. "Oguz, right? Ali and Fatma's son."

Nehir took a step backwards. How did her mother know about that?

"I know about you two. I've known for a while. Listen to me. You'll go to the engagement party. Dilek being Dilek will notice if something is wrong. You won't cry, and most importantly, you won't say you don't want to marry her son. If someone asks you, you'll lie. You'll say you want to marry him. Or the boy and his family die."