24 | 𝐇𝐨𝐰 𝐦𝐮𝐜𝐡 𝐝𝐨𝐞𝐬 𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐠𝐞 𝐦𝐞𝐚𝐧?

Nehir hadn't realised she had fallen asleep until she woke up. She had slept with her head on the wall next to her, and she must have been so tired she didn't even notice.

With a sigh, she looked around. Fidan was no longer there, but Neslihan was still on her chair, not looking as angry as she had been last night. So, Metin had made it.

"Good morning," Dilek said from her chair next to her.

"Morning?" Neslihan asked. "It's almost noon!"

Nehir decided it was best to ignore her.

"Did my brother wake up?"

Dilek nodded. "Fidan is with him now. A doctor came some time after you fell asleep. Your father will be fine. Neslihan saw him hours ago. If you wish to see him, you should go."

"Better to let him rest," Nehir lied.

Dilek nodded again and then handed Nehir a bag. "Aleyna came and brought you some clothes to change into."

She had slept in her wedding dress, not having the chance to change before getting to the hospital. She had wanted to be there in case something happened to Hakan.

"Thank you," Nehir said, taking the bag from Dilek.

She left to find a bathroom and, after she managed, she changed into the clothes Alyena had brought. A white shirt and a pair of jeans. A lot more comfortable than her wedding dress.

She returned to Dilek, the dress in the bag where the clothes had been.

"Davut and Yavuz are outside," Dilek told her. "They were released this morning like everyone else."

Nehir nodded. So, everyone had been released. Whatever contacts Davut had asked for help had managed to get them out. The case had probably been dropped. All to prevent the police from investigating further and get themselves in the mess that had already begun.

"Nehir," Fidan said, coming from a room. "Hakan wants to see you."

Nehir nodded and rose from the chair, heading towards her sister-in-law. Fidan led her to a door but did not enter with her.

Hakan was awake. Lying in a bed, her brother smiled and gestured with his hand for Nehir to come closer. She sat on the chair next to his bed.

"Are you feeling better?" She asked.

Hakan nodded.

"I need to apologise," her brother said.

Nehir frowned. "For what?"

"For everything, Nehir. I am not as good as I claim to be. If I was, you wouldn't be here, and he wouldn't be dead."

"Hakan–"

"I knew. I knew you two were in love. But I told myself it was too dangerous. I told myself that you two will never be safe if you left. But I could have helped you. And then you wouldn't be here, and he wouldn't be in a grave."

Nehir sighed. She couldn't blame her brother. She knew Hakan had always wanted what was best for her. Well, what he thought was best.

"The only thing that I wanted," Hakan added, "was for you to be safe. But, to keep you safe, I sacrificed your happiness. I don't ask you to forgive me, Nehir. I know you might never be able to do it. But I still want you to know I am sorry."

"Hakan," Nehir said, putting her hands on one of his. "I don't blame you for what happened. I never did."

Hakan had wanted to keep her safe, and she appreciated that. Her brother hadn't been the one who decided to kill Oguz. And he hadn't been the one who shot the bullet. If someone else was to blame besides Neslihan, Metin, and Bora, it was Nehir.

"I don't know what you plan to do next," Hakan said. "But if you need help, tell me. I'm your brother, Nehir. I will help as much as I can."

Nehir nodded. She wondered if Hakan expected her to want to run away. She wasn't going to do that. It would do her no good.

No. What she wanted was revenge. And to do that, she had to stay in Karadeniz. The war with Ahmet had just started. But when the village would learn about Oguz's death, about how easily another one of them was killed, they would stop helping Metin. They would turn against Metin.

The Uçars would support Metin until the war with Ahmet was over. Which would end either in Ahmet's death, either in theirs. But Nehir would do all she could to leave Metin without allies. And, when the time came, he would regret what he did to her more than anything.

"Yavuz isn't a bad man," Hakan said. "I will admit I had my doubts about him and Davut. But Yavuz proved me wrong. I know you might never care for him. But maybe you can still have a good life."

Nehir forced herself to nod. She didn't want to tell Hakan that she didn't truly  care what would happen to her. As long as those who had hurt her paid, it was enough for Nehir.

"Nehir, don't let this grief consume you. One day, our father and your mother will pay for what they have done. One day, they will realise how much pain they have caused."

"I know," she said.

"Go," Hakan said. "We'll talk more after I get out of here."

Throwing one more look at her brother, Nehir left.

The first thing she noticed was Bora's presence. He stood next to Neslihan, unharmed from the previous night. How was it that so many people died and had been injured, but not Bora? Some of those who had died didn't deserve that, but he did.

"Leave him," Fidan whispered, coming next to her. "I know how you feel, Nehir. I know how it's like to lose the one you loved. But confronting Bora won't help you."

"What would you do if the one who killed the man you loved was here?"

Fidan sighed. "He was here already. You've seen my father. But I didn't go for his throat. I know what you are going through. The one you love was killed by your own family. I know how that feels like because I've been through it. But he wouldn't want you to die to avenge him. You've seen what they are capable of. If you go after them, they will destroy you."