23 | 𝐇𝐨𝐩𝐞𝐬

Nehir was still trembling, even in the hospital, while they were waiting for news about her brother. She had cried on Dilek's shoulder for most of the last hour, but the older woman hadn't seemed bothered by this.

She was still dressed in her wedding dress, and she noticed the way nurses and others looked at her. She supposed people didn't usually cry after their own wedding. They also weren't at a hospital, usually.

Nehir's head was still on Dilek's shoulder when Fidan came back. Her sister-in-law had been calling people outside, and Nehir could tell that whatever came next was bad. She had spent enough time near Metin and Neslihan to know that what Ahmet had done was a declaration of war.

"I've called everyone," Fidan said, taking a seat on the chairs in front of them. "All said that they will consider it."

"Look at her," Neslihan said. "Your husband is in surgery, and what are you doing? Talking on the phone? Excuse us for interrupting your fun!"

"My fun?" Fidan asked. "You really think I'm happy about this?"

"Oh, please! As if you hadn't wanted Hakan dead from the moment you met him!"

"My husband had just died! And I was forced to marry Hakan! What would you do if Metin died today and you were forced to marry someone the next day?"

"What did I say? You want Hakan dead! And Metin! She is Ahmet's daughter. They are working together!"

"I will die," Fidan said, "but I will never call that man my father again. He took everything from me once, and he is doing it again."

"As if–"

"Stop it," Nehir interrupted them. "We're in a hospital. You can argue later."

"Nehir is right," Dilek said. "This is not the time nor the place."

Nehir sighed, and she rested her head in her palms. Her eyes were red and puffy again. She had barely stopped herself from crying. All she wanted was to know Hakam would be alright. She didn't care about Metin. That man was nothing to her.

"Daughter," Dilek said. "Maybe we should head home. There is no point in waiting here for news."

"I'm not leaving," Nehir said, shaking her head. "Not until I know my brother will be fine."

"What about your father?" Neslihan asked. "Don't you care about him?"

"What are you saying, Neslihan?" Dilek said. "Of course, Nehir cares about her father."

"She doesn't–"

"We can hear you from the elevator. Stop it."

Nehir turned her gaze away from Neslihan to see Ayşe and her husband coming towards them. Both had been at the police station.

Nehir rose from her chair and hugged her sister.

"When will they be released?" Dilek asked.

Ayşe pulled away and looked at Yavuz's mother.

"I don't know. Davut called his lawyers."

"What about Bora?" Neslihan asked. "You're a lawyer. Get your brother out."

Ayşe sighed.

"It's better this way," her husband answered. "We shouldn't get involved in this."

"Why not?"

"Enough," Ayşe said. "Davut's lawyers will get them out. We need to stop arguing here. It's not going to help Father or Hakan."

Nehir nodded and sat next to Dilek, while Ayşe took a seat next to Fidan. The two spoke in low voices for a few moments as Selim went to answer a phone call.

"Everything will be fine, daughter," Dilek said, putting her hand on Nehir's back. "You'll see."

Nehir nodded. She hoped Dilek and Yavuz were right. She couldn't imagine losing her brother. After Oguz... She couldn't.

If Hakan died so soon after Oguz, she would never recover. The loss of her brother would be the one to fill the glass. She would fall in a sea made of her grief, and she would drown.

She couldn't lose someone else. She couldn't.

"Ayşe, we need to go," Selim said, coming back. "Ali Kemal called. The hearing was moved tomorrow at noon."

"What? We can't even find a plane ticket at this hour!"

"We'll drive."

"It is an eight hour road, at best," Dilek told them. "How important is this hearing?"

"Very," Selim answered.

"Ayşe should stay," Neslihan argued. "Her father and brother are–"

"I can't," Ayse said. "Someone was unjustly accused of a crime, and I'm his lawyer. I can't miss the hearing."

"Go," Fidan told her. "I'll call if we get any news."

Ayşe thanked her and then hugged Fidan. Nehir rose, and when her sister turned towards her, she wrapped her arms around Ayşe.

"Be careful," Nehir whispered.

"You, too."

Ayşe pulled away and, after one last glance at Fidan, she followed Selim to the elevator.

Nehir took her seat, hoping to hear soon enough about her brother. An hour had already passed. How long would the surgery last?

Minutes passed by, while Nehir forced herself not to think of the worst things that could happen. She had to believe Hakan would be fine.

"Are you here for Hakan Akpinar?" A doctor asked, coming towards them.

"Yes," Fidan answered, getting up. "Can you tell us anything about him?"

"There were a few complications, but everything seems fine now. It would be best to keep Mr. Akpinar here for some time to make sure everything is alright. However, I can assure you that he is no longer in danger."

Nehir sighed in relief, a weight lifting from her chest. Her brother was fine. Hakan wasn't going to die.

"When can we see him?"

"He is sleeping now, but tomorrow morning, you can see him. A person at a time, and no more than three."

Fidan nodded. "Thank you, doctor."

"What about Metin Akpinar?" Neslihan asked.

"Unfortunately, I cannot provide any information about anyone else."

With those said, the doctor left.

Others had been injured. Cousins from the Uçar family, and even her cousin, Dursun. Most were people Nehir had never met in her life.

"We should wait to see how Metin is doing," Dilek said. "After that, we should really go home. It's getting late."

Nehir nodded. Her brother was fine. It was all that mattered to her. But she couldn't leave. Some appearances had to be kept.