chapter eleven: a tea invitation

“Slow down, there are still plenty of where those came from,” lintaya ko kay Damien habang kumakain ito at tila ba parang halos lahat ng pagkain iniisang kagat niya lang.

“How long has it been since you’ve last eaten?” nagtatakang tanong ko habang inaabutan siya ng isang baso na tubig. Kinuha naman niya ito at ininom bago sumagot.

“I’m not sure. A month, maybe?” sagot niya na patanong bago kumain muli.

“Oh goodness. You must be really hungry, that's why you are eating so fast,” komento ni Clarisse na naka-upo sa tabi ni Damien at kumakain din.

Kasalukuyan kaming na sa kusina kasama ang Head Chief sapagkat nagugutom si Damien at wala na ang aking mga magulang sa hapagkainan.

“Let me know if you want to eat anything else boy, our Lady has given me the permission to cook you anything you want!” lintaya naman ng Head Chief na kasalukuyang pinapatulis ang mga kutsilyo.

Tanging tango lang ang sinagot ni Damien habang patuloy na kumakain. Sinasabayan naman siya ni Clarisse na tila ba pati rin siya ay hindi kumain ng ilang buwan.

“My Lady? The guest room has been arranged already,” lintaya ng dalawang tagapagsilbi na kakapasok lang sa kusina.

“Thank you. The both of you can now tuck in for the day,” lintaya ko. Tumango naman ang dalawa at yumuko sa aking harapan bago tumalikod at umalis.

Inutusan ko ang dalawang iyon na ihanda ang guest room na katabi ng kuwarto ko sapagkat doon mananatili si Damien pansamantala.

Hindi pa naman ganoon kalalim ang gabi, ngunit inaantok na ako. Dahil siguro ito sa pagod. Napakaraming nangyari sa araw na ito lang. Naranasan ko bang mapagod ng ganito sa dati kong buhay? Mukhang hindi.

Ilang minuto ang lumipas ay natapos ng kumain si Clarisse at Damien. Maging ang Head Chief ay tapos na rin sa kaniyang ginagawa.

“Thank you so much for the food, Head Chief. You can also go ahead a retire for the day. Damien, follow me. I'll lead you to your room,” utos ko.

Tumango naman ang Head Chief sa aking sinabi at yumuko. Natapos na ring linisin ni Clarisse ang pinagkainan nila ni Damien kung kaya’t umalis na kami at sumunod naman si Damien.

Muli kaming nagtungo sa taas at binuksan naman ni Clarisse ang pintuan ng Guest Room kung saan pansamantalang mananatili si Damien.

“Ito ang magiging kuwarto mo pansamantala sa bahay na ito. Dahil hindi ka pa naman magaling, ay dito ka magpapahinga at magpapagaling. Ipapadala ko nalang dito kay Clarisse ang mga gamot na dapat mong inumin,” lintaya ko.

Pumasok si Damien sa loob at pinagmasdan ang paligid.

“I still don't know what you need to do moving forward since my Father still doesn't like the idea of me bringing you home, but don't worry. No one will hurt you here. Take a rest, and I'll see you tomorrow, okay?” muling lintaya ko sa kaniya.

Humarap naman ito sa akin at tumango bago yumuko. Tinanguan ko rin siya pabalik bago lumabas sa guest room at pumasok sa aking kuwarto na katabi lang nito kasama si Clarisse.

“Please prepare the bathtub for me, Clarisse. I want to dip myself in and calm my nerves,” utos kay Clarisse na tinanguan niya naman.

Today has been a very busy day, I guess. My father is already at the end of this patience for me because of the embarrassment I gave him during Jewel’s debutante ball, and now, me bringing a child home who I just happen to stumble upon in the village.

After washing myself, I tuck myself in my bed and instantly went to sleep hoping tomorrow to be more peaceful than today.

***

I was too hopeful to the point that the universe, didn't want me to be in peace anymore. I was planning to wake up much more later into the afternoon and just chill with Damien the whole day. However that plan got completely ruined by Clarisse's loud voice.

“Do you want to lose your job, Clarisse?” I sleepily asked while covering my face with my blanket.

“My Lady, if you're not going to rise from your bed, the Mistress will not only fire me, but she might cut my throat as well,” she panicky answered and took my blanket away from me.

Hearing her desperate voice, I have no choice but to completely wake up.

“What does my mother want this early in the morning?” I irritatingly asked while scratching my head.

“A letter from the palace arrived, the Mistress wants you to get ready,” she answered while preparing my bath.

“A letter? It's not for me, is it?” I curiously asked, hoping for Clarisse to say no.

“Why it's from the Crown Prince, My Lady. It most certainly is for you,” she answered, now with enthusiastic as if excited for what’s about to happen.

“For me? Why?” I asked again but Clarisse didn't answer. She hurriedly guide me to the bath and helped me wash myself up.

It took me more time to get ready, triple the time than how it should be. Clarisse and the other servants just started dolling me up and making sure I look like a proper lady, when I'm already a lady. My corset is also much more tighter.

‘I guess I won't be eating today,’

I went to the drawing room where my mother is after I am done with that horrendous morning. I knocked on the door thrice before getting in.

“Good Morning, Mother,” I greeted her with my usual nonchalant expression. She was having tea while reading the daily paper containing the new gossip of today. She puts her teacup down and placed the paper beside her.

“You arrived just in time. The royal carriage just arrived,” she greeted me back.

My forehead wrinkled at her statement and looked outside the window in the drawing room and she is right. A royal carriage is currently parked in front of our house.

“What is a royal carriage doing here, Mother? Does this have something to do with the letter from the Crown Prince that arrived today?” I asked before looking back at her.

“That’s right. The Crown Prince has invited you over for a tea,” she answered and placed a letter on the table beside her teacup.

It's a letter much different than a normal letter that other nobles used. From the gold seal that's been opened, you can immediately tell that this letter came from the palace.

‘What? A tea invitation? The Crown Prince likes tea?’