Ch. 13 - Needed Assistance

I stare at the woman who stands in front of me while I sit in a chair. She is the same lady that I had seen when breaking into this damned place. That receptionist lady.

She gives me a look while disinfecting my arm for an IV. Bringing out a needle, I watch as she pokes it into my arm, in the middle of my arm. It doesn't hurt, but it's not comfortable either.

"Sorry," she mumbles, and I try to make eye contact with her, but she avoids it.

"Yeah, I know you aren't."

"I am," she finally looks up, her face full of seriousness. "I understand the unfortunate situation you're in, but I wouldn't worry for now."

"Not worry?" I raise a brow, glancing down for a second to see my blood that's connected to the needle travel through a long tube and into a small test tube. "They're obviously going to kill me. They just don't think I'm useless yet."

"Trust me on this one," she runs her fingers through her hair, "If they were going to kill you, they would have done it already."

I tense in the seat I am sitting on. "Who are you?"

"My name is Niki," she carefully pulls the needle out, cotton blood already there to stop any blood flow. She disconnects the long tube and puts a white lid over the test tube. "I work for the Syndicate, mainly just to keep watch."

"And I'm sure you do your job so well." I mock, pressing down a smirk at the scowl she sends me.

"We don't get break-ins a lot." She tilts her chin up, "Not very common. Even if someone knows what this place is, most aren't stupid enough to just waltz in, or they get stupid injuries." She motions toward my leg, which I cringe over.

"Speaking of which, Phil asked me to bandage your injuries. They said leg and ribs. Is that all?"

"They said what? Why would they tell you to do that?"

She closed her eyes as if she was the one exasperated. "Please just tell me."

"Um, yeah. I think that's all. Besides some cuts and bruises."

She gives me a stern look before scratching her head. "Actually, I think we can use something else."

"What?"

"A potion."

"What?"

Niki folds her arms, "In the Villain and Hero world, it is pretty known the Syndicate is cooking up some potions. One you stole was something special, too. But anyway, they've been crafting stuff mainly to enhance stuff with their abilities, and they made something they call a Healing Potion."

"That's real creative," I deadpan before smirking, "Is that seriously their hobby? They make potions?"

"Yep, they sell some to people they know too."

"Yeah, that sounds like a well-paying fake job."

"Hey, it works." She waves a hand before giving me a hard look. "And it will help you."

"If it works."

"It will."

The door opens to the room, and it makes me violently flinch. Ares stares at me for a while when entering the room before shifting his gaze toward Niki. "Do you have it?" He asks.

"I do," Niki says politely. She gives him the vial.

I move to shift away from them both, but it just ends up striking pain in my ribs. I wince, "Fuck..." That brings both of their eyes to me, and I freeze.