Untitled Part 16

Cora, tears of joy streaming down her face, clutched the letter close to her heart. At that moment, Mary entered the room, her expression one of concern at the sight of her mother's tears.

"Dearest Mama! What's happened now?" Mary's voice was laced with worry, the recent months having taught her to brace for the worst.

"Mary!" Cora exclaimed, her voice trembling with emotion. "Your father is coming home!" The weight of these words filled the room, a beacon of hope after the long, shadowed months of uncertainty and sorrow.

Mary's face transformed with a mix of surprise and elation, the news igniting a light in her eyes that had been dimmed by the trials of their recent past. "Truly, Mama? He's coming back to us?" she asked, needing to hear the words again, to affirm that the joy was real.

"Yes, my dear, it's true. Your father is coming home," Cora confirmed, her smile radiating through her tears, a mirror of the relief and happiness that enveloped her.

Cora, her spirits lifted by the news and the tasks that lay ahead, was suddenly propelled into action. "Ring for O'Brien, please. I need to go down and speak with Carson and Mrs. Hughes!" she instructed Mary, her mind already racing with preparations for Robert's return.

The household would need to be readied, plans set in motion to welcome the Earl of Grantham back to his home, his family, and the life he had left behind to serve his country. It was a moment they had all dreamed of, yet scarcely dared to hope for, and now it was becoming a reality.

Mary, sharing in her mother's joy and the flurry of activity that it spurred, hurried to ring for O'Brien, her heart lighter than it had been in months. The news of her father's imminent return was a balm to the wounds of war and loss, a promise of reunion and new beginnings.

It was then O'Brien returned with Noel. "Is it true Mama?" she asked. "Papa is coming home?"

Cora stood taking Noel into her arms. "Yes, my darling! Would you like to help me to prepare for him?"

"Yes, Please!"

As Cora prepared to meet with Carson and Mrs. Hughes, the backbone of Downton Abbey, she felt a renewed sense of purpose. The coming days would be busy with preparations, but behind every task lay the joyous anticipation of Robert's return, a moment that would mark the beginning of a new chapter for the Crawley family.