𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄

By the time Saturday comes around, no more bodies have shown up thankfully. Your dad says it's normal considering the timeline of the others, but that it makes it harder to track whatever loser down that's doing it. In true dad fashion, he's made sure that you keep a canister of pepper spray tucked into whatever outfit you're sporting at all times.

Not in your bag, no. Actually on you.

"You have to keep it in reach," He'd insisted, his worry making you smile in retrospect. You hardly ever saw him these days so, even though he'd spent the entire time making sure you knew how to protect yourself, you take it as quality time anyway. You missed him. A lot. With no friends to speak of, a chaotic life moving around, a dead mom and an absentee father... It left a hole in you that no amount of costume parties like the one tonight - or regular parties for that matter - could fill. Even sweet Steve wouldn't be able to because in just a few short months, you'd be out of here again. His flirtations were nice, but you'd have to make it clear you weren't looking for anything serious at all.

But you try not to think about your horrendously depressing life right now. No, instead you finish the touches to your angel costume and smooth out the baby blue dress you wore. It was satiny, the neckline scooping to a spot on your chest that was just bordering daring and you were sporting a halo attached to a headband sticking up from your styled locks. Your dad wouldn't be happy about the outfit, but luckily for you, he wasn't home and probably wouldn't be until the early hours of tomorrow morning.

So he wouldn't even have to know you'd gone.
In theory.

You slip on a light jacket and head out of the door, the small canister of pepper spray tucked subtly into your bra. Steve only lives a few streets away so you don't bother with your car, deciding to walk instead, your heels clicking rhythmically along the sidewalk as you do so. The sun was just tucking behind the horizon, painting the sky in decadent shades of pink and purple. As the colors fade, streetlamps flicker on to illuminate your walk just in time for you to arrive at an already alive party. Kids you recognise from school, along with some you don't, file inside in varying costumes and dance to pulsing music that comes from the large house. Damn. Steve's rich-rich, huh? You muse to yourself as you follow them in. "Hey!" Nancy sidles up beside you dressed as Marilyn Monroe, her red-headed friend from the other day that you now know as Barb on her other side. You smile and greet them both as you head inside.

With your nerves an electric current in your system, it's all too enticing to head directly to the kitchen for a drink. People seemed to like you at school so far, but this was your first time seeing them outside the halls and classrooms. You doubted it would take much to change their opinion of you so you were on your best behavior. Well. You'd try to be. Depends on how much booze you consume, you supposed.

You're in the middle of pouring yourself a cup of punch from the bowl when a cowboy hat is set down on the counter beside you. Steve leans beside you, a not-so-subtle sweep of your body with his eyes causing a devilish grin to light up his handsome face. "Evenin'." He says with a forced Southern drawl, his cowboy costume oddly suiting him a little too much. You elicit a soft giggle and set a hand on your hip.

"Howdy." You greet and he snorts a laugh.

"You came."

"Did you doubt that I would?" You arch a brow at him, taunting and teasing all in the same breath. His lips turn up even more and he inches a little closer, his hand settling on your hip as his voice drops. There was a hint of beer on his breath but not enough to convince you he was drunk. Yet. But his searing touch where it holds you over the flimsy fabric of your dress makes your form straighten in response, the urge to press closer barely resisted.