Chapter 12: I get stabbed in the back

Katniss's P.O.V

Thomas took my hand when Alby called for us to leave. I was shaking, terrified. The night I'd had with Thomas, planning out what was yet to come was brief to me. Gally and Thresh were definitely capable of snapping my neck and killing me.

Thomas reassuringly squeezed my hand. "We take down Gally and Thresh, then we run, okay?" Thomas whispered in my ear. I slightly nodded. 

We all made our way through the forest, listening to the morning breeze and the birds chirping. Newt was dragging his weak foot through the grass but could walk with a limp if he wanted to, though it looked painful.

"Should we leave a name for this place?" Newt asked.

"The forest?" Minho asked confused. "Yeah, it should have a name," Newt answered.

"Well, a few people died in there so how about the Deadheads?" I asked. Thomas turned to me. He softly grinned and said, "The Deadheads. Has a good ring to it."

"The Deadheads it is, I guess," Alby added.

~*~

Eventually we all made it out of the Deadheads and we trotted to the cornucopia. Once we made it we all just stood, waiting for Gally and Thresh to show up.

I heard someone scream behind me and I turned around. Thresh and Gally charged out of the Cornucopia. Their faces had bandages and were swollen, and they were clearly in pain.

Gally threw an axe at me and I, once again, avoided it. I gripped my bow and swung it at Gally's head. He fell to the floor with blood dripping from his mouth.

I pulled out an arrow and loaded it into my bow, aiming it at Gally. I released it and it flew into his hand. He wailed in pain.

Gally looked up at me and screamed. He stood up and jumped on me. He gripped both of my wrists and held them down onto the green grass, squeezing them as hard as he could. I yelled out in pain.

Minho and Alby came over and ripped Gally off of me, thankfully. They held him down to the grass. I looked to my left and saw Newt and Thomas holding down Thresh. I loaded my bow with an arrow and aimed it toward Thresh.

I hesitated, but shot the arrow into Thresh's squirming body. Blood dripped from his open wound and I reloaded my bow. I aimed and fired another arrow. It landed directly into his head and then I heard a boom. "NO!" Gally screamed.

I began to feel guilt for killing someone who was about the same age as me for no apparent reason and took a step backward. Minho and Alby began to handle Gally as he was filled with rage. Thomas left Thresh's body and walked up to me. Newt went to go help the other two.

He squeezed me into a bone-crushing hug and whispered, "Now," when we heard a boom. We pulled away from the hug and looked at Gally's lifeless body. Minho's hands were still around his neck and Newt and Alby were still holding him down so it was obvious the way Gally had died.

Alby stood up and unexpectedly grabbed Thomas's wrist with immense force. "Where do you two think you're going?" He asked. Thomas looked at me wide-eyed. He turned back to the three. "W-We were gonna head back to the Deadheads."

"Without us, you mean," Minho finished. He was standing covered in blood with his hands on his hips while Newt sat with his back against the cornucopia. 

"We were just getting a head start while you two dealt with Gally," I said.

"Without us," Minho repeated. Thomas and I locked eyes again. He looked back and narrowed his eyes at Alby, who still had a firm grip on his wrist. "What are you guys trying to say?" He asked.