-2- Something fishy

It's been a whole month of gaiety.  I had never felt so lively and Auntie Bee would testify.

"Ah! How wonderful! You see her dancing, here and there, singing...I mean...it's as though her head was in the clouds".

I overheard her tell my mom over the phone. Truly, I had missed my parents but, I needed to be away for one or two reasons.

Work commenced nearly 8pm and as regular as clockwork, I texted my boyfriend- lol, before setting off.

'Hi babe, I'm off to work" I sent, and slid the smartphone into my back pocket. I halted a troski and as I jumped into the front seat, I pulled my phone.
No notification? Hm...that was unusual. Checking the message once more, I noticed he had seen it. Was he giving a wink at it? Okay, maybe he will reply later.
In 30 minutes time, I had alighted and headed for the shop adjacent to the florist's.

"Good day, Mr. Aaron" I smiled

"Oh, hello," he answered,"someone is looking appealing today" he winked.

This was the very behavior I despised about Mr. Aaron. Despite he being amicable and humorous, he was inappropriately naughty to people young enough to be his grandchildren. Allegedly, Mr. Aaron had a courtesan although he had a 56 year old wife, Mrs. Shirley- the most stunning old woman I had met yet.
This statement was hard not to believe since I have observed him flirtatiously behave with some students who when I questioned, came to get some flowers for their facilitator but shunned the idea when the flourist was crossing his limit.
I gave a phoney smile and shook his thought out of my head as I attended to the opening of the shop.

"Christine..."

I heard as I opened the door to the shop. Nate stood there with a long face and left me quizzical for some minutes before I broke the silence.

" Why didn't you tell me?" I frowned.

" Babe..."

"Why? Why didn't you tell me you would be going back to Suhum today?"

" Babe..." He cried

"No, just answer"

"I didn't even know. it was impromptu. I'm sorry" he widened his eyes.

Okay now I couldn't get mad at this face.  I had to give in.

"Okay, fine!" I murmured and plonked myself on the only couch in the shop.

Nate squared close to my feet and emphasized on how much he was head over heels in love with me and tearfully took my hand and kissed it.

"Oh c'mon, don't flatter me" I pulled back my hand and walked away to the counter, hiding my tears.

The strong embrace I felt from behind made my heart skip a beat, and I poured out the pent-up tears.
He spent his day with me at the shop, giving me a helping hand, since he was leaving that night. At 7pm, we went to his apartment and after having the saltiest meal I've ever come by - which he prepared, we made love in the living room as a soothing music played from the radio.
            ____________________

"And why were you late last night?” Auntie Bee asked over a cup of coffee.

"I went to see a friend" I quickly replied to prevent further interrogations and suspicion.

"Hm...a friend? interesting"

My head has still been lowered, staring directing at the froth which I was poking tensely with a spoon.

"And may I know who that friend is?" Auntie came again, purposely to make me spill the beans.

"Umm..umm.." i watched my wrist, "I think I'm late for work...bye, love you"