-5-The Newcomer

As I presumed, Nate did not take it easy on me. He took Mercedes'side and made me look like a fool in front of her; insulting and beating me up.
My heart raced, I literally boiled inside and a part of me was just crying out for freedom, freedom to show Nate not to take my leniency as my foolishness. Freedom to beat the hell out of those two. Freedom to say my side of the story.
I could take the harshness no more, therefore, when he tried laying another hand on me, I held it up and warned,

"Don't try"

"Huh?" He laughed, "What did you..."

"I said don't try!" I yelled at him.

I turned to Mercedes and I could see the way she struggled to catch her breath. Fear, fear was all over her face.

"I-I think I'll head home now" she said and rushed out. As though someone or something was after her life. Indeed someone was after her life, and that someone wouldn't stop until she had her.

"Now you, young lady..." He stretched a finger

"Don't you point those filthy fingers at me"

I frowned,

"See young man, I've had enough of your nonsense, stupidity and bullsh*t. I've tolerated you all this while, and so you think I'm silly, I'm a fool. But no, I've had enough! Enough!"

I sniffed, trying to stop the tears but they just disobeyed anyway.

"I loved you, and damn it! I still love you, and that's all I've ever shown you. But you, you moron! What have you shown me? Huh? Name it yourself? "

He lowed his head

"Name it Nate! Name it! Cruelty, hatred, bitterness, harshness, you made me depressed. You don't ever care about Gifty"

"Who's Gifty?" He asked

"Exactly! You don't even know your daughter's name. Are you that careless? Such a father! Because of you I left Aunty's place, just for you, and this is what I get in return? Wow! Aunty doesn't send me the money again and it's all thanks to you and my foolishness. Thank you"

I left to the bedroom, where I had left Gifty. I soothed her and recalled whatever I just said. I must admit, I was proud of myself for being able to come out of the shell.

"Knock knock"

I heard

I knew it was Nate, and I wasn't going to respond

"I know you know who it is Christine. Fine, I understand if you won't open up, but just listen to me."

I laid on the bed, beside Gifty

" I love you Christine, I love Gifty too. I love you both. I admit I've been a pain, I know I've done mistakes and I have now realized I've allowed myself to be used by the devil against you two. I just hope..."

I heard him sniff, as though he was tearful

"You forgive me. I don't deserve the forgiveness though, but I just hope you forgive me. And I promise, no more Roselyn, Mercedes or whosoever. It's just going to be u, me and Gifty. One happy family. I'll even go see your parents and we'll get married, I promise. I do love you"

At this juncture, the sentimental young lady had soaked her pillow in tears. All I wanted was finally being said. But, was he going to keep his word ?

       __________________________

Nate loved Gifty. He loved her to the extent he had filled the living room with paintings of her and it got to a time, it seemed kind of creepy. Wherever you turn or pass, a portrait of Gifty hangs. I wouldn't blame him. Not to brag but Gifty was a beauty. She was dark skinned with silk like hair and big catchy eyes. Her skin glowed and her smile melted hearts.
On March 18, when she turned 1, Nate bought her a cute toy which kind of resembled her.