Untitled Part 35

Chapter 35

26th January, 1952.

The pungent smell of red chillies sizzling in the smoking hot mustard oil stung Rudra's eyes and tickled his nose. He wedged himself against the wall and vigorously scratched his nose before the storm of sneezing hit him. He teetered on his spot and then clutched at the rafters he was holding on to. He'd been standing atop a rickety bamboo ladder looking down through the ventilator in a rather reckless manner.

His mother looked up at him and shook her head. She was busy in the kitchen and finding her wayward son's regular incursions quite annoying.

She sent a long-suffering look upwards at him and huffed. 'If you keep up these peculiar antics, I'll stop cooking for you.'

Rudra ignored her and continued his vigil. His breath stalled and he began to grind his teeth at the scene unfolding below him. Through the lacework of the ventilation, he watched Agni rope in his target who was busy roping in her target, quite unaware that she was the one being ensnared.

Protima, aka, Sumita, aka Ranjita the tutor, had stopped holding Agni's hand. She was now running her fingers up and down his arm. Agni shivered and blushed as he looked into the woman's eyes, the very vision of young smitten love.

The woman, at a single glance was unremarkable. Average build, average height and looks. But whatever she lacked in the department of beauty for the finicky connoisseur, she more than made up with sexual aura. Thick wavy hair curled all around her oval face, eyes a burnt hazel, deep dimples on both her chins adorned her blushing cheeks whenever she smiled, exposing pink gums and perfect pearly teeth. Her cleavage was just visible through the folds of her saree, promising great pillowy comfort held tantalisingly close yet just out of reach. She was clearly an expert seductress.

But this time, the expert was wasting her considerable charms over an engaged heart. And had finally met her match.

Agni held her chin with his index finger and drew closer. He looked at her lips as if he was a thirty Bedouin finally catching a glimpse of a tranquil sanctuary. A soft moan escaped the woman's rosy lips.

Rudra sprang down the steps and sprinted over to the dining room and screeched to a halt just outside it. He called out. 'Ritam! Mother's calling you. It's time for your prayers. Don't you have a fast today?'

Agni drew his face away with a grimace, withdrew his fingers and smiled at his target ruefully. He was dressed in stark white. His hair was shorn so close that his scalp was shining. A thin necklace of wooden beads adorned his throat and a white sandalwood mark on his forehead completed his appearance of suffering a recent bereavement.

He whispered, 'ok, I agree. I'll do as you say.'

Ranjita said, 'Promise? I can't stand the sight of your suffering anymore. Every tear you shed is a drop of blood from my heart. I long to set you free. I long to declare myself as yours! My darling, I can't wait anymore! Once we're settled somewhere safe, we can let them know that you're safe and sound with me. This new job of mine will give us the security we need. I just need some money for my sister's dowry and to tide us over until I get my salary. Once that's secure, my mother will accept us too.'

Agni whispered, 'don't worry about the money. I will bring what I have. I have at least 12,000 rupees cash and I have my mother's wedding jewels. We'll be fine even after we pay for your sister's wedding.'

The woman shook her head and frowned at him. 'I don't want your money. You keep it with you for yourself and our future. I'll make my own arrangements for my sister.'

Agni smiled and squeezed her arm. 'what's mine is yours just as, what's yours is mine! I told you! I want to be with you, wherever that is, I don't care! I'll do whatever it takes, kill, rob or steal!'