Untitled Part 26

Chapter 26

The mess unfolds.

Rudra reached home well after 10 pm. His plans of visiting Lalita's elder brother had to be pushed back. Ronnie refused to let go of his hand and Rudra didn't want to leave him alone, in any case. He waited until old Mr. Ghoshal and Suni returned. He watched Ronnie eat dinner and settled him in bed and talked to him about his childhood in his Dhaka home until Ronnie's eyes drooped with sleep and he fell asleep mid-question.

He had dinner with Suni and they spoke briefly about what happened after he left the station.

'They were called back for questioning. Thank God, your brother was there. He just stalled them and blocked all questions, coolly saying, "My clients will wait till the coroner's report is out." Kept Bulldog Paul in check.'

Rudra nodded. 'How's Ani? He looked extremely shocked. He was barely speaking; he wasn't even looking at me.'

Suni nodded glumly. 'He was the same. Just sat staring out of the window with his back to me every time I went to talk to him.'

He sighed.

**

Back at home, Rudra went looking for Rajat. His bedroom was dark and empty. He went downstairs to his office and found Rajat pacing the room.

'Dada?'

'Oh, you're back! Good, good! Chotu, I might have to go to Asansol. Might have to go to Asansol, tonight. Your Boudi isn't well.'

'Huh! What happened? It's too early, isn't it? What is it now? The 7th month?'

'Yes, yes, 7th month, too early, definitely too early, but they telegrammed me in the evening that she's gone into labour.'

'Oh No! Why are you still here, then? Go!'

'Hmm? Yes, yes, I must.' Rajat continued his frantic pacing of the room without making a move.

Rudra picked up the car keys. He picked up Rajat's wallet and checked to see if there was money inside and then stuffed it into his pocket. 'Come on, let's go.'

He dragged Rajat out while shouting in the direction of his mother's bedroom.

'Ma, I'm driving Dada to Asansol, Boudi's gone into labour. Call Sameer right now and tell him to handle the situation if I'm late.'

His mother rushed out. 'Huh? What?'

'Call Sameer and tell him that I'll be back by tomorrow morning. He needs to handle the situation until then. Dada isn't in a condition to drive. I'll drop him off and be back directly.'

'9 hours round trip? Are you completely mad? You have to stay back as well. I told Rajat to bring her back! Ohmygod! What'll happen now? It's too early!!' the older woman rushed downstairs, in complete panic now.

'Ma, Ma, nothing will happen. Everything will be fine. Asansol isn't a village. Please, just call Sameer, his number is in the phone book.' Rudra shouted as he pulled his brother into the car and left, tires screeching.

Rudra drove through the dark streets while Rajat sat in complete silence. At least one advantage of starting this late were the empty streets. He drove at breakneck speed and reached Asansol at 2.30 am.

His sister-in-law's maternal home was on the outskirts of the city. When he reached it, he saw that the house was ablaze with lights. He braked and pulled Rajat out.

The faces of the people inside were stony. They came forward to hug Rajat and Rudra and wordlessly drew them inside.

Someone was crying and the loud wailing made Rajat collapse. Rudra and the others pulled him up and helped him to a sofa. They got water for him. His sister-in-law's mother emerged and rushed to Rajat.