Untitled Part 36

Chapter 36

The plan unfolds.

That night, the group got ready in darkness and silence. Each had planned and rehearsed their roles multiple times. There was no room for error.

Agni was dressed in a bright yellow salwar kameez provided by the tutor. He followed her instructions and wore makeup. He wore a wig she had supplied. When he emerged out of the room dressed in his new get-up, Rudra stared at him, stunned into silence.

'You look beautiful.' He blurted out and reached out to him.

Sameer whispered stridently, 'Ai, Ai!! None of that! We are working here. Rudra, keep your focus.'

Agni grinned at him and moved away.

Rajat muttered in an undertone. 'I still don't like this situation. What if we don't catch the whole gang. What if they go after Agni? Now they know how he looks.'

Sameer answered, 'you have my solemn promise that we'll catch each and every last number of these bastards. Not one will escape me. And a unit will be stationed to guard him for 24 hours, for as long as this case is ongoing. I already have permission from my superiors. They wouldn't permit me to conduct this special operation without that.'

Rudra interjected, 'he'll be considered a mark who got lucky and escaped. They'll not question his identity. They have no reason to think that he's part of the police network. Neither of us are. That's the best part of our plan. They can't link us with the police.'

Sameer said, 'This is our best chance of capturing and interrogating a high-level worker of this gang. We might spook them but at least we'll get some ideas! Right now, we are working blind. We don't know where they are based, we don't know who their leader is, we don't even know how big their operation is!'

Rudra said, 'I think they have planted moles in your station. In every station in Calcutta maybe! They are moving about smoothly, fearlessly, maybe because they know that they have no need to fear us.'

Sameer scoffed. 'it's not that easy, Rudra!'

Rudra said, 'with the peanuts you pay your constables, it's easy enough.'

Sameer sighed and shook his head. He couldn't argue any further. Secretly, he couldn't help but agree. The task force was coming up with useless clues and trails that led nowhere. Their repeated failures are why his superiors allowed civilians to participate in this scheme of theirs.

Animesh and Suni were slouched in the corner of the sofa listening in silence. Both of them sported identical beetle brows. Animesh eyed Agni's transformation and it seemed to anger him even more.

He stood up and chewed out, 'At least let a constable dress in those clothes, Bhai! Please, don't go any further. You've helped the investigation enough. They can take over from here onwards.'

Agni shook his head. 'No Dada. They'll get spooked if they sense any change in the plan. Let's just stick to it. I can bet, either the TT or a tea seller is a part of their set up. Maybe both? They'll drug me not long after the train leaves Howrah station. I'll try to stay alert but I can't promise..'

Rudra caught his hand and jerked him closer. 'Promise that you'll not drink anything they offer, Agni!! No matter what! And the moment you sense that they're ready to make the move, give the signal. We'll be close by. Stay calm and be alert. Remember that we are there, watching every move they make.'

Agni nodded with a smile.

The rest of the evening went off like clockwork.
The woman met Agni at their appointed place in the back lane of their house. He carried a small bag in his arms. He handed it over to her the moment they met. 'Here, keep this. It's the money and the jewels.'