Untitled Part 37

Chapter 37

The events in Gardenia house.

Agni stood still and looked around himself. It was an ordinary passage with the main door right in front of him. He made no attempt to move. Cutter's voice floated in, still singing his song somewhere outside. He placed his hand on his chest and braced himself for what was coming next. 

Hornet came out in a minute and led Agni upstairs where there were rows of doors along a dimly lit corridor. It was wood panelled and lain with a tatty green carpet. The attempt to make it look grand had failed.

She opened a door and said, 'this is our room. Take a bath. Your clothes and other things are inside. See, I didn't touch your things! I told you, didn't I? I wanted only you!'

Agni walked into the small room and looked around. He smiled at her radiantly and said, 'did you say, OUR ROOM?'

The woman nodded and put her hand on her hips. 'Did you think I'll let you sleep anywhere else?'

Agni grabbed her and twirled her around. She pushed herself away and said, 'go, take a bath first!'

When Agni emerged, she was waiting for him on the bed. She jumped up and hugged him. She drew him closer and kissed him. Agni ran his hand over her back. He picked her up and spun her around until she was giggling.

He said, 'wait, can we do this? Really? Won't they prohibit us or something?'

She giggled some more and shook her head. 'Mother has given her permission. We can be together. I'll train you to be a trap. We have others. You'll meet them properly tomorrow. They're not like you. They were born into the trade. I can't believe it! You convinced her with your sincerity! She said that she recognized the fire in your eyes.'

Agni smiled and hugged her. She kissed him and said, 'was it true? Did that really happen?'

Agni nodded. 'It's entirely true! I owe my adoptive mother my life. She made me the person I am.'

'You sound so mature! This is why I like you so much. You talk like someone triple your age.'

Agni shrugged. 'that's what life experiences do, right? Our biological age isn't the true measure of our maturity.'

Hornet caressed his face, saying, 'you are wonderful.'

He shook his head and said, 'What I am, is, starving. Choker made me drink a bunch of country booze and I got sick in the boat.'

She moaned. 'I'm sorry! We have to be careful with our marks. We doze them with booze so that if we are stopped on the road, we can say that we're simply helping out a drunk friend.'

Agni shrugged. 'it's fine. But I need to eat something now!'

She jumped up and left the room, returning in a few minutes with a packet of biscuits and a thermos of tea.

He ate quickly and then settled next to her in the bed. 'I'm so sleepy!! Hug me! I want to sleep next to you!!'

She turned to him and hugged him closer.

He said, 'the money I offered, was it not enough? Why did your mother laugh?'

Hornet chuckled quietly. 'She laughed because I am free. I freed myself with my own money many years back.'

He stroked her hair and said, 'how long have you been in this business?'

She said, 'since I was 12. Too many years to count.'

'Aren't you tired of it?' he asked gently.

She shook her head. 'I don't do active work anymore. I have 4 girls of my own who work for me. So, I'll be able to retire soon.'