Mafia 39

Harper's POV

~ ~ ~

[ PRESENT DAY ]

"It was the toughest decision of your mother to leave your father behind. Alam niyang iyon na ang huli nilang pagkikita pero tinatagan niya lamang ang loob para sa inyong dalawa," ani ng butler.

Nanatiling nakaupo naman ako sa aking kama habang patuloy na tumutulo ang mga luha sa mata.

My family... had to experience all of this.

I can't imagine the pain and sacrifices they've dealt just to make me safe.

"We were able to escape from the two formidable families. But after that, we faced a lot of challenges and hardships due to certain reasons... but mostly because of money. Noong makaluwas kami ng bansa ay hindi agad kami nakapaghanda sa mga pinansyal na pangangailangan ng pagbubuntis ng nanay mo. Before we could even get some money on her bank, Mr. Wright already broke their access to her account. Even her husband's cannot be opened anymore," pagpapatuloy niya sa kwento.

"Although I was able to open my bank, it was surely not enough for the both of us to survive with my current finances. Tinipid ng mama mo ang lahat ng natitira niyang pera para mapalaki ka ng maayos. She once thought of asking her relatives but she's too afraid na baka matunton kami at madamay din daw ako sa gulo nila." He turned his gaze away from me out of guilt.

"That's why I went back to the headquarters. Alam kong hindi pa huli ang lahat para sa 'kin at naisip ko ring kapag nagpatuloy ako sa trabaho ko, I might be able to support the two of you. But when I got back, rumors spread like a wildfire and that's when I heard that your father didn't make it," malungkot nitong ani at mahinang hinimas ang aking likod.

"Your mother raised you all by herself. Sinusubukan ko pa ring bigyan ito ng pera at least a couple of times but that all stopped, seven years later. The day when Mr. Wright finally found your mother in the Philippines." He continued patting my back as I can't control my emotions from bursting out.

"Naitakas ka pa ng mama mo sa kanila at pinaiwan sa kaniyang kaibigan. The only mistake that she did I guess was that she entrusted you to someone that she thought can be trusted. But when her friend found out about the money that's been secretly kept, she took advantage of you and I never got to see you again," he said, pertaining to tita. The one who took care of me after my mother's disappearance and the one that opened my eyes to see how cruel the world is.

"I tried searching for you but I failed. I wanted to ask Helen where to find you but I can't because she was continuously tortured in the underground basement of the palace by the Mafia Lord, Mr. Wright. Hoping that she finally tells him in place of your father. But she didn't complied. Alam niyang kahit sabihin niya kung nasaan ang mga pera ay wala pa rin kayong takas dahil sa nagawa nilang katraydoran.

"She wanted to tell Mr. Wright but she doesn't have a choice. Ang iniisip niya ay ayos lang na kahit mawala nalang siya sa mundong ibabaw, basta't mapunta lamang sa gamay ng anak niya at hindi mapunta sa dalawang pamilya. It was the worse decision indeed. To pass the burden to you. But your mother will risk everything just to save you and keep you alive, praying that they won't be able to find you until you get older," the butler said.

Dahan-dahan akong napayuko at nagpunas ng mukha. Ngayon... alam ko na ang lahat. I finally understand what my mother had planned all along. She did everything just so she could save me, even if it would cost her own life.