・.・✫Thirteen ✓

୨⎯ Chapter 13⎯୧
"Refuge"

୨⎯ Chapter 13⎯୧"Refuge"

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

AS I LOOKED up at the sky from the back of Legolas's horse, a mix of emotions swirled within me. Despite my persistence to ride myself, he had insisted on being my sole companion. Thus, there I sat, looking upon the grandeur of Helm's Deep's towering gates, from behind Legolas.

The gates creaked open, and soldiers heralded the arrival of Theoden. "Make way for Theoden!" they proclaimed. "Make way for the King!" echoed another voice.

As we entered the fortress, I noticed the two children we had aided earlier, now safely reunited with their mother. She acknowledged me with a grateful nod. Making my heart burn happiness. Meanwhile, Theoden spoke words about our hard-won safety and the lives lost.

Legolas dismounted first, turning back to help me down. My poorly wrapped wound hindered my movement, forcing me to rely on his support. Avoiding his gaze, I turned to Eowyn, inquiring about medical assistance.

"Is there a healer I can see? I need medical attention. Stupid warg slashed me," I stated, pointing towards my wound.

Eowyn gasped as she noticed the blood seeping through my bandage. An elderly woman stepped forward, offering her services. "Come, my child, let's get you fixed," she said, guiding me away.

As we crossed the fortress, I noticed Legolas still watching me. Feeling tired, I turned back, following the healer.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Seated before the elderly healer, I winced as she unwound my bandage. "My goodness, child, it's a wonder you haven't lost consciousness already!" she exclaimed.

"I thought I might faint, but fortune smiled upon me with a companion during my ride," I recounted.

"Ah, that Elf man, is he a friend of yours?" she inquired, now examining the wound.

"My betrothed, actually. Though I must admit, he can be quite exasperating at times," I vented, exhaling deeply.

The healer regarded me with raised eyebrows. "My dear, no matter how vexing a man may be, in the end, our hearts still hold them dear," she offered, wrapping a fresh bandage around my midriff.

"Well, if it weren't for the fate of my kingdom, I'd have sworn off marriage altogether," I mused.

"The look he gave you was brimming with love. Despite the problems you may endure, he longs to mend your rift. Seek him out; you'll may find solace in reconciling," she suggested, helping me to my feet.

Her words did resonate with truth. Despite his infuriating tendencies, Legolas possessed qualities of kindness, care, protection, and undeniable charm.

"Thank you. I never caught your name? I'd like to know the identity of my esteemed healer," I inquired.

"You're more than welcome, dear. My name is Mirere. Now, go reunite with your man. I have a feeling our paths will cross again," she replied, releasing me.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

It took me a while to locate Legolas conversing with Gimli. Drawing a deep breath, I approached them, feeling a slight limp from the lingering pain.

Gimli's chatter halted abruptly as he caught sight of me. "Aye, she's alive! Welcome back, Princess," Gimli exclaimed, offering a hearty pat on my back.

I offered him a gentle smile. "Didn't realize you missed me that much? But thank you, Gimli. I'm feeling much improved, thanks to our healers," I replied, my gaze shifting to Legolas.

Sensing the tension, Gimli swiftly excused himself.

"I see the healers treated you well. How do you fare, my princess?" Legolas inquired formally.

"I fare well, my prince. Yes, they did take good care of me... I haven't properly thanked you yet for your assistance, though I didn't deserve it. So, thank you, my prince," I rushed, feeling a twinge of embarrassment.

His lips curved into a small smile. "I care for you, Liairse. You must know that. I'm sorry I didn't come to your aid after your incident, but I believed you capable of looking after yourself. You are a strong woman, and I was needed elsewhere to safeguard our convoy," he explained, stepping closer.

Placing my hand atop his, I reassured him, "There's nothing to apologize for. The whole incident is forgotten, except for the splendid gash on my side, but we can pretend that's gone too," I chuckled.

His laughter filled the air, warming my heart. As I leaned towards him, our lips met in a kiss. Slowly pulling away, he rested his forehead against mine.

"I'm sorry I couldn't be there earlier, but I promise to always try my best to protect you, my princess," he whispered.

"I know you will. Come, let's go join the others," I suggested, intertwining my fingers with his.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

As we walked hand in hand closer to the gathering commotion, my breath caught at the sight of Aragorn, alive and well despite a few bruises.

Unable to contain my joy, I pushed through the crowd and sprinted towards him, leaping into his arms with glee.

His laughter echoed around us as he caught me, enveloping me in a tight embrace before gently lowering me back to the ground.

"I cannot believe this! How is it possible? You were dead!" I exclaimed, still in shock.

Before Aragorn could respond, Gimli battled through the crowd, tears welling in his eyes as he embraced Aragorn, declaring him the luckiest, canniest, and most reckless man he ever knew.

"Well, I was expecting a punch or two, but that works too," I remarked, crossing my arms in surprise.

Aragorn then inquired about the King's whereabouts, and Gimli gestured towards the main hall.

As Aragorn walked off, Legolas momentarily obstructed his path, greeting him in Elvish before switching to common, "You're late. You look terrible." Aragorn chuckled before they greeted each other properly.

I noticed Legolas retrieving Aragorn's necklace from his pocket and passing it over, receiving a nod of gratitude in return.

Meanwhile, Eowyn, who had been aiding the people, turned towards the sound of Aragorn's voice. She approached closer, keeping her distance as she observed the exchange, her admiration evident as she beheld the necklace.

Noticing her hesitance, I slowly approached her, pushing past people in the process.

When I reached her, I rested my head on her shoulder, surprising her at first, but she soon relaxed into the embrace.

"I understand you, Eowyn," I murmured softly, and it seemed that was all that needed to be said as she reciprocated, resting her head against mine in silent appreciation.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃