・.・✫Twenty-Three ✓

୨⎯ Chapter 23⎯୧
"Oath of the Dead"

୨⎯ Chapter 23⎯୧"Oath of the Dead"

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

OUR MOMENT was abruptly shattered by the sound of approaching voices—Gimli's unmistakable grumble, Khellan's urgent tone, and Aine's concerned murmur. Legolas and I exchanged a startled glance, swiftly composing ourselves as the tent flap was thrown open.

Gimli, Khellan, and Aine stood before us, their expressions grave. "Liairse, Legolas," Gimli began, his voice heavy with concern. "We've just come from Aragorn's tent. It seems he's planning to leave."

A wave of apprehension washed over me at Gimli's words. "Leave?" Legolas echoed, his brows furrowing. "Where would he go?"

Khellan stepped forward, his expression troubled. "We're not sure, but we overheard him talking about the Dimholt road."

Without hesitation, we gathered our belongings, determined not to let Aragorn embark on this perilous journey alone.

As we confronted Aragorn, his resolve was evident. "Not this time. This time you must stay, Gimli," he insisted.

I interjected, a hint of amusement in my voice, "Have you learned nothing of the stubbornness of dwarves?"

Aine and Khellan appeared, each with a horse, as Gimli declared, "Might as well accept it. We're going with you, laddie."

Despite Aragorn's concerns about the dangers ahead, we stood firm in our decision to accompany him. As we mounted our steeds and set off on the Dimholt road, the soldiers' whispers of confusion faded behind us.

The journey along the barren mountain path was filled with a sense of foreboding. Legolas recounted the tale of the cursed army, his words casting a somber shadow over our group.

As we approached the ominous Dimholt door, adorned with grim skull sentinels, Legolas read the haunting inscription: "The way is shut. It was made by those who were dead, and the dead keep it. The way is shut."

Aragorn's determined cry, "I do not fear death!" echoed through the air as we ventured into the dark depths.

Within the shadowed Paths of the Dead, the atmosphere grew increasingly oppressive. Legolas described the eerie visions of spectral armies, while Gimli attempted to maintain his composure with forced bravado.

Aine's whispered fear of the dead army elicited a brief moment of levity as she expressed a preference for "an army of butterflies."

As we emerged into a vast underground hall, we were confronted by the King of the Dead. Aragorn stepped forward, his voice firm with resolve, "One who will have your allegiance."

The ensuing confrontation between Aragorn and the King of the Dead was tense, with Aragorn declaring his lineage and right to command the spectral army.

Amidst the chaos, Aine found herself frozen in fear as a ghostly figure materialized before her. Khellan leaped to her defense, his fierce command, "Get away from her!" echoing through the hall.

As Aragorn made his final plea to the army of the dead, the ground began to tremble. We made a frantic dash for the exit, fighting our way through a sea of skulls to escape to the safety of the outdoors.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃