Doubts

Jack was glad he was awake. Mostly because of the nightmares. Any memories that tried to resurface only meant the nightmare sand in him would just hide them again. Further and further in the back of his mind. There was also the pain. Yeah that wasn't fun. 

He meant what he said when he was with Bunny. Somehow, trying to find his memories with someone else was much easier. He was able to remember things quicker and the pain in his arm was less intense. Or maybe he was just imagining that. But there was something different. And even the mention of Jamie seemed to ease the pain as well. 

But alas, there was no possible way that he was going to be able to get his memories back. Pitch made sure of that. 

It had been two days since Jack finally woke up. He was glad that the pain he had been forced to endure in his torture was dying down. But he could tell it scarred him mentally as well. The things Pitch said and did was making it hard for Jack to open up to the Guardians and accept their help. Bunny said they'd help him, and he believed that. But he couldn't stop himself from flinching any time anyone walked into the room or raised a hand. Loud noises also scared him. 

It's not that he didn't trust the others, it wasn't that at all. He couldn't explain it. He wasn't scared of them but he still was scared of them not wanting him. 

North had gathered a meeting in the infirmary yesterday to explain what he had seen on the globe after Jack woke up. Apparently, all the lights flickered out at once for just a second before coming back bright as ever. It hasn't happened again since. 

Jack was glad that Jamie's light was still shining. He felt beyond guilty that Jamie thought Jack abandoned him but North assured the Winter Spirit that it wasn't his fault in the slightest.

So far things were getting better, minus Jack being able to get his memories back. Bunny was still brainstorming ideas for what to do.

Recently, Tooth was starting to talk less and less. Pitching into less conversations and being absent constantly. She wouldn't talk to them about what she was doing other than checking up on things at her palace. 

Even though the silent treatment was being used on North, Sandy, and Bunny, it was worse with Jack. Tooth would barely even look him in the eye and when he tried to talk to her, all he'd get was a hum, nod, or a shake of the head in response. And as he lay there on the bed with everyone but Tooth in the room he was becoming all too familiar with, he was starting to think he was the reason the fairy was upset.

Baby Tooth acted all the same to him except for a nervous glance at him from time to time but Jack was getting used to it. Everyone seemed to give him that same look as if he was going to die at any moment.

"Trying Teeth again too dangerous," North said out loud with brows furrowed. "It cause Jack lots of pain."

"We need to come up with some way that Pitch hasn't thought of," Bunny said.

Sandy flashed an image of a question mark over his head.

"There must be another way to," Bunny said. Jack could hear the masked doubt hiding behind fake confidence in the pooka's words. Over the past days of being awake, Jack was able to find fake emotion and masks behind Bunny's confidence. How did he know? He did the same thing, hiding his discomfort and pain. But it didn't seem anyone could see through it.

"Where's Tooth?" Jack asked. Everyone turned to him. The question had been out of the blue. 

"Uhh...She just got back from palace," North said. "She's in globe room. Wh-"

"I want to talk to her," Jack said. "Alone." He added.

The Guardians exchanged worried glances.

"Please?" Jack said after a second and tried to smile slightly.