||chapter- 2||

Jimin pov.

“What? Why me?” Jungkook waved a hand toward me. “he’s the one that tried to strangle me.”

Turning, I shot Jungkook a smug look before the teacher could notice.

“Oh, and his eyes just swelled up like that on their own?” the professor Questions.

My mouth twisted, satisfied.

See, you had it coming, I laugh imaginary.

“Fine,” Jungkook muttered.

“Um. Do they maybe need a chaperone?” Yoongi asked from behind me, sounding a bit scared.

“They’ll make it there together just fine. Like civilized people. Am I right?” the professor asked, though it was more a demand than a question.

I nodded, at least having the decency to look contrite, but when I glimpsed Jungkook, he smiled like this was all some big joke.

The professor should’ve let me choke him.

I glared daggers at him as he came up beside me.

“Shorty?” he said, offering his arm to me.

I grimaced, ignoring his arm and the heinous nickname and spun around, heading for the gym doors, putting as much distance between us as possible.

Once I stepped out into the hall, the smack of his shoes over the linoleum soon followed as he hurried to catch up. When he appeared by my side, instead of walking next to me, he pulled ahead.

I narrowed my eyes on his back. He was tall and his shoulders were so broad, I could hardly see past them.

I pumped my arms, moving my feet faster until I was speed-walking, passing Jungkook at my rear. Ha!

“What’s the hurry, short cake?” Jungkook said behind me.

I glanced back, and he seized the opportunity to step in front of me again, but his legs were so long he didn’t even look like he was trying. His stride was effortless, natural.

It annoyed me.

I huffed and curled my hands into fists at my side. Who cares if he walks in front of you? There is no hurry. You do NOT need to get there first. This isn’t about winning, Jimin.

I folded my arms over my chest, pushing the bubbling anger aside, trying to focus on something other than Jungkook’s obnoxious swagger.

Oh, who was I kidding?

I took off in a jog, shamelessly smiling at him as I flew past, sending him to my rear where he belonged. Suddenly, our trek to the gallows became a race. When he pulled ahead, I did whatever necessary to beat him. My lungs screamed, but my body vibrated with triumph. I panted as we rounded the corner when Jungkook called out,

“Hey, that’s okay. I like the view better from back here anyway.”

I stopped dead in my tracks, my feet turning to cement as my head whipped back to see his eyes on my butt.

“Abso-lutely not,” I said.

“What?” He shrugged. “we both are guys, after all, and you actually have a nice—”

“Finish that sentence and you’re a dead man,” I said, poking him in the ribs as he drew near.

He chuckled and caught my finger in his warm grip.

A zing of electricity shot through my hand and I yanked it away, shaking it out. Even his touch was weaponized.

“Sorry about your eye,” he murmured, his gaze drifting over my face.

“Yeah, you look really sorry.”

He raised his hands in surrender, but one corner of his mouth tipped up in a crooked smile. “It was an accident, I swear.”

I pursed my lips. The laughter in his voice said otherwise.

Right, an accident, I wanted to say. Like the time he stuck his foot out and tripped me on the way to Taehyung’s room. I nearly tumbled down the stairs. Or all of the times between classes where he accidentally bump me down in the hall. Or the way he spilled his drink all over me at lunch just last week.

“It’s amazing how a ball accidentally hits me square in the face at lightning speed.”

Jungkook crossed his heart with his finger and held it out.

I rolled my eyes. “Regardless, because of you and your little accident, we’re headed to Mrs. Marias’ office, so thanks for that.”

“Actually, I’m pretty sure that was more on account of you trying to strangle me.”

My eyes flickered from his face to his neck, which was slightly mottled. Good. He deserved to have red splotches. My eye felt like it had been attacked by a swarm of bees. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous about assessing the damage, but I wouldn’t give Jungkook the satisfaction of stopping in the bathroom to take a look.

“I wouldn’t have wrapped my hands around your neck if you hadn't slammed a basketball in my eye socket.”

Jungkook grinned. “ you know basketball isn’t my sport.”

I grunted. Everyone knew basketball wasn’t his sport. He was the king of Hybe’s swim team.

“Nice excuse,” I said, then began walking again as he hurried to catch up. “You better hope this doesn’t get us detention.”

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed his shrug. “It’s just detention.”

“Just detention? You don’t even care that we’re in trouble, do you?”

“Won’t be the first time. I’m sure it won’t be the last.”

“Well, isn’t that a winning attitude. But this is the first time for me, actually. And it will be the last.”

He scowled. “Oh, that’s right. I forgot who I was talking to. Can’t have anything marrying little Mr. Perfect’s reputation.”

We neared the principal’s office, so I paused. “I’m sorry. Some of us have to actually study, get good grades, and have good behavior if we want to succeed. Not all of us can get a free ride just because we know how to swim. Some of us don’t have things overlooked simply because we’re athletic.”

It was an understatement. Jungkook was a pretty decent cross-country track runner, but he was unrivaled in the water. The boy was born with gills.

He scoffed. “I don’t just know how to swim.”

I smirked as my underhanded dismissal of him hit its mark.

I placed my hands on my hips and watched as he defended his title.

“I’ve won State two years in a row and set the Hybe record in all of my relays. Plus, I plan on breaking all of those again this year.”

“You’re so modest. I’m surprised you can even swim with that giant ego of yours weighing you down. How does it fit inside your swim cap?”

Jungkook snorted, and I turned back to the door. Before I could wrench it open, his hand came down over mine. It was big and warm and sent a flurry of nerves jumping in my stomach. I smothered the swell with my annoyance and glanced back at him.

His expression was serious, maybe more so than ever before. “It really was an accident.”

I hesitated, staring into eyes the same color as the mine, and for a moment, I thought he might be genuine.

My gaze raked over his messy dark hair, and his muscular arms,

and I swallowed.

Who was I kidding?

This was Jeon Jungkook I was talking about.

Glancing away from him, I shoved the door open and went inside.

A/n: Hey there, my awesome reader s! 🌟 I know the chapters are on the shorter side, but fear not! As the story progresses, I'll be adding more details and length to the chapters.

Drop some Vote for clear skin homies 😌💕