Chapter 9: The Uncertainty Principle

High in space above the surface of the Earth. The space shuttle that was piloted by none other than Colonel John Jameson floated over the planet.

Astronaut: So Colonel Jameson. Any Trick-or-Treaters up there?

One of the astronauts said. Recording through a camera they held to capture video shots of the planet, and to document their experiences in space.

John: I hope not. We're fresh out of candy.

He joked as he turned to face the female astronaut holding the camera. Looking from behind the camera she smirked at John as he got the gesture and cleared his throat.

John: But serious I still remember my first Halloween. Heh, I was an astronaut. Big surprise right? As much as I love the beauty and tranquility of space..I'm glad we're landing tomorrow. To see the costumes of the next generation of dreamers. Plus this year, my astronaut costume rocks.

He said.

Unbeknownst to them, an asteroid came hurling towards the ship out of the blue. Not seeing it in time the asteroid collided with the space shuttle causing it to rock back and forth as pieces of the asteroid broke around the shuttle. The alarms to the shuttle blared as a red light overcame the command deck of the shuttle signaling an emergency. Quickly getting to their seats the other two astronauts inside worked with John to check the conditions of the shuttle.

Female Astronaut: Life support still up. Otherwise...

John: Otherwise, it's Houston we have a problem.

The Next Day

At the Daily Bugle, in Jameson's office, Robertson and Betty stood in the room as they watched the news talk about the incident that took place in space. As they talked about the condition they played a recent video that was recorded from one of the astronauts to show their progress.

Outside of the shuttle, in their space suits John and another astronaut were checking out the damage to the shuttle to see how bad the conditions were.

John: *Heat shields are fairly trashed. Anybody know a good body shop up here?*

He joked.

Broadcaster: *As Jameson maintains his sense of humor. The real question remains; Will the shuttle be able to land safely. The damaged heat shields, coupled with the loss of the shuttle's navigation computer. Greatly increases the hazard.*

He says. Hearing this news caused Jameson to walk back and forth in his office. Concerned for the safety of his son as with each word that left the broadcasters mouth only seemed to worry him even more.

Jameson: You heard from Foswell?

He asked Robertson.

Robertson: Already in California. Awaiting the Shuttle's landing.

Ned: Assuming it does land.

He whispers to Betty standing up from the chair. This in turn caused her to push Ned out of the office as she followed in suit.

Betty: We'll just get out of your way Mr. Jameson. Shout if you need us.

She tells him as they leave through the doors closing behind him. As Jameson continued to hear the broadcaster speak he sat down in his chair and let out a heavy breath. Looking over to his desk he grabbed a picture frame of him and his son before his deployment to space. Looking at the picture he couldn't help but continue to worry for his son. Hoping. Praying that he makes a safe landing back down to Earth.

Jameson: Johnny.

He says just staring at the picture as he continued to listen to the broadcast. Taking in every word that left the broadcaster's mouth.