Chapter 12: Bad Habits

All characters belong to Gege Akutami

Yuji walks out of the clinic. The sun is warm, and the breeze is gentle. The sound of children's laughter in a nearby park echoed in the air. People are riding bikes, couples are holding hands, cats are climbing trees. It is a beautiful Spring afternoon. He breathes in the crisp air and walks along the sidewalk. Sakura petals fall around him to match his hair. He strolls leisurely, hands in his pockets. As beautiful as the scenery around him is, he has had one thing on his mind the whole day. Those delinquents he saw smoking.

Is it relaxing? Does it help with stress?

His curiosity gets the best of him and sooner than later, he finds himself back at the front gates of the Jujutsu College, approaching them. The sound of them talking about various things could now be heard as the group grew louder in their voices. It was also obvious now that they were probably also now under the influence of some drug as well as none of them seemed fully sober and they were starting to get a bit rowdy.

"Ah, hello." He waves awkwardly.

The five older students all turn around and stare at him with bored eyes. One of them then spoke up.

"Can we help you?"

It was Suguru Geto. He is a resident delinquent but still gets good grades. He typically speaks in a monotonous tone and does not show any hostility or friendliness towards anyone. It instantly seems like he is going to be the most level-headed of the group at the moment, which is surprising to Yuji. He seemed so dark and scary. Suguru stares at him as he waits to hear Yuji's reason for this sudden confrontation.

"Um, Hi Geto-senpai, I'm Yuji Itadori."

"Uh huh, what about it?" He lets out a long sigh as he continues to stare at him. Suguru did not bother to hide the fact that he was not interested in this conversation whatsoever.

Yuji tugs at his shirt looking at the ground. His feet kick around the dirt. These are all obvious tells of being nervous.

"I-I was wondering, could I... try one?"

Suguru looks him up and down with a surprised expression now. That was the last thing he thought of when Yuji Itadori, resident Good Boy, spoke to him. He looked over to one of the others who just nodded her head giving him the go ahead to let him do it.

"How old are you, fifteen?"

"I-I'm twenty!" Yuji takes slight offense to this. Suguru chuckles.

"Sure, go ahead. Just be ready to get really dizzy and probably throw up."

Yuji scrunches up his nose. "C-Cigarettes can do that?"

He just shrugs his shoulders as he continues to stare at him. "It depends on how much you smoke. If you're a pro then no, obviously not. But something tells me your lungs still have their virginity."

Yuji tries to ignore that last comment and goes on. "I've... never done it before."

Suguru rolls his eyes and holds the cigarette out, now giving it to him. The tip was already lit so it was practically already ready for him to smoke it at this point.

He hesitates but puts his lips on it and breathes in. He pulls back gagging and coughing. Tears prick his eyes as he wipes his mouth.

"That was... disgusting."

Suguru chuckles as he was right, that definitely was going to make him sick. Yuji was definitely right though; it was one of the worst tastes he has felt in his mouth, but Suguru had already gotten used to it as he takes a drag from the same one.